Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

palettes are locked

Anonymous
Not applicable
Starting this morning, all the palette boxes are fixed and I can not change them. The lower right corner where I drag a palette to changed it's size is white and will not respond. How can I make them active again, and what did I press to create this?
Version 11 MAC
11 REPLIES 11
rocorona
Booster
Are them "docked"?
Can you drag them, without changing their size?

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
I can drag them around, but not alter the shape.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, while trying to reshape the Toolbox Palette, it became square, jiggled like it was mad, then would not go back to the single line it was in.

I have opened different schemes and profiles, and the palettes are not responding to resizing in any of them. It must be a master setting somewhere.

This is strictly an ArchiCAD deal; all other windows are resizable.
rocorona
Booster
I'm sure there is non such "master setting" for the palettes to behave that way. All that I can suggest by now is a fresh reinstall.
But, before this, try to delete all the preference files.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Roberto,
Thank you for your time and knowledge.

This will be the second time I have had to do this, and I can not remember the first time, so enlighten me about the preferences. I found a file under Defaults/ArchiCAD/WorkEnviroment/User Preferences/Standard User Prefs 11.xml

Is this the file I delete (after saving it somewhere, just in case)?

And if not, or yes, are there others?

I assume you are windows based. I have both XPro and MAC, but I've been using the iMAC 24" for about 6 months. I am not happy with the MAC, except for the stylish hardware, monitor, keyboard, Photoshop and the other publishing stuff I do.

I have an on going graphic card problem, so I'm on the verge of rebuilding the XPro with the latest speedy things. If you have suggestions, my geeks would love to know. They think if they can build a PC tricked out for sound and video, I should have no problem. However, my experience tells me computer guys grow up slower than normal. They always believe they can DO IT better. I have grand children who have that confidence, as did I before I discovered how little I know.

Because I am new to this way of talking to people who DO, give me some hints, if I can take more of your time. I did have the Canadian Funny Guy help me realize I needed photoshop to finalize renderings because of the difference between the imagined ideal and real limitations, which seem to be a scale larger than ArchiCAD can accommodate.

And, should you choose not to take this assignment, I will search the heavens for the key maker.

Thank you again.
Ted Taylor
Contributor
Peter,

Before trying anything else, if you have not already. Restart the Mac. That seems to help all kind of maladies when things go strange with Archicad. Trashing preferences is next step.
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 32GB
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mr. Taylor!

Why didn't I think of this? It worked! And, no, I did not delete things, or destroy files, hardware, or my wife's cat! I went and made coffee, had a cup, while rebooting the Dell she uses! Maybe there is something to this Mercury retrofit after all!

I probably didn't think of this because I had started up fresh. Is this because I may have put the baby to sleep, rather than SHUT IT DOWN? I am always wanting to know the why of things, so I can not do it, more than repeat it, especially with ArchiCAD.

THANK YOU BOTH!

Now I can smile and get to work!

And thank you Ted for these simple things. And my MAC buddies, who don't talk to me any more, told me if I bought a MAC, I'd NEVER have to reboot! HA!

I'll keep this in mind, and probably shut down the beast rather than tuck it in for the night.

Again, thank you!
rocorona
Booster
Ted wrote:
Peter,

Before trying anything else, if you have not already. Restart the Mac. That seems to help all kind of maladies when things go strange with Archicad. Trashing preferences is next step.
This is so obvious I didn't mentioned.
First of all : restart application
Second : Restart the computer

Only after these two steps, I think there is something wrong to be fixed... if one of them solves the trouble, I think all is "normal" (in the computer world, anyway).

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Is this the file I delete (after saving it somewhere, just in case)?

Names and location of the preference files, for both Macintosh and Windows, can be found on the ac-wiki :
http://www.archicadwiki.com/preferences%20cleaning

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10