BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

creating custom CW panels like the predefined ones

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,
I am sorry if this has been already dicussed in another topic. I just cannot figure out how to create a custom component ( i.e. Panels ) to use them in curtain walls. I have been following the reference guide but the saved components does not appear listed, neither can I select them when I go " Load other curtain wall panel..."

Is it possible to save a library element (i.e. a door) as Custom CW Panel ?
How are the predefined CW components created ?

Hopefully somebody can show me the right path to follow. Thanks

Sergio
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you draw Slabs and stuff and use the File\Libraries and Objects\Save Custom Component command you can save it as Custom CW Panel. Custom CW Panel should be one of the items on the list.

You know in GDL it is all about subtypes. In which Dialogs the GDL object is available and its available parameters depend on what subtype the object is based on.
You can save a Door by a new name and then change its subtype to "Curtain Wall Panel" but I think the Door would become "dysfunctional" since the Curtain Wall Panel does not have the parameters as default as the parameters of a Door subtype.
But your question is quite legitimate for me because it just makes sense that we would like to use Door/Windows in Curtain Walls.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
But your question is quite legitimate for me because it just makes sense that we would like to use Door/Windows in Curtain Walls.
Thank you for responding Laszlo. That´s exactly the point. There are quite a few different CW panel types ( CW Door, revolving, Sliding, window, window 2...), but although you can create custom panels for them, the different types are still limited if compared to the standard Door/window library.
example: what to do if you need a 3 panel sliding door ? or an 5 panel accordion opening.?

Over the panel settings you are able to load other Curtain Wall Panels. Does this option refer to other door/window types ( i.e. loading a custom garage door type )?

Are there any tutorial on how to create other CW panel types ? Juntions ?

thanks again,

Sergio
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I agree these Doors/Windows need further development so we can have them also in Curtain Walls. Of course they will not need to be as smart as the regular Doors/Windows because a lot of geometric options do not apply in case a Door/Window is placed into a Curtain Wall.

I don't know of any tutorials specifically addressing this topic. The Help file talks about Custom Component creation. The rules are similar in case of CW Custom components.

I think your best bet is to open one or more of the CW Doors/Window/Junctions that can with ArchiCAD and fully understand them so you will see how they relate to the Curtain Wall geometry. Then you can save one of them under a new name and modify its script to create the geometry you want.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
not yet a solution?
Learn and get certified!