Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Barn Doors in a Curtain Wall

Has anyone successfully modeled an exterior slidier door (a barn door, not a pocket door) with the Building Envelope Tool (I mean Curtain Wall Tool, sorry) ?

If so, what did you do and how did you do it?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have not done this, so I cannot be of help in this, but this beautiful architectural scenario has appeared before my eyes: a very high tech, all steel and glass Curtain Wall, and an old wooden Barn Door within it. Interesting picture.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Two images come to mind Laszlo,

First are buildings designed by Canadian architect Brian Mackay-Lyons: high tech barn structures like the Messenger House II (photo) or the Howard House (http://www.mlsarchitects.ca/portfolio/featuredprojects/howard/)

Second is the ArchiCAD 12 Demo project of the antique German beerkeller (sp?) made entirely with curtain wall objects. Bizarre, but an amazing example of what a "curtain wall" could be.

The problem I'm trying to tackle is more like the Howard House where a barn door passes outside the skin of the building. The hardware is mounted outside.
messenger3_lg.jpg
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I see what you mean.
I imagined a very old, very time-worn, very dark colored, creaking wooden door in a shiny steel-glass facade. It was a big contrast.
I am not much of a help with your original question, though.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Djordje
Ace
Aaron wrote:
Has anyone successfully modeled an exterior slidier door (a barn door, not a pocket door) with the Building Envelope Tool (I mean Curtain Wall Tool, sorry) ?

If so, what did you do and how did you do it?
Nope.

I just leave a hole, fill it with the wall the same size as the door, and place the external sliding door. No wall, door in place, all peachy.

Did not have the time to play with the custom door, but custom CW works well for the panels.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen