Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Assign a window to a layer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings...
I have a remodel project where I want to show a window to be removed on a demolition layer, and a new window to replace it on a new construction layer. I'm not demolishing any of the wall, just the window. Is there a way to do this? Have I missed something obvious?
Thanks for the help.
Larry
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
Since doors and windows sit in walls, put the section of wall that the window/door sit in on the demo layer, and add a new section of wall on the new construction wall layer.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erica is right, but there are (at least) two ways of doing this.

With two different layer combinations - one for Existing / Demolition and one for Existing / New...

Option 1: Slice the wall either side of the window, change the section of wall that the window is in to your demolition layer and make your window dotted, place a section of new wall on your new walls layer with the new window in it. If the materials are the same on existing and new walls they will heal properly in elevation.

Option 2: Change the layer of the entire wall to your demolition layer. Change settings of window to display dotted (or however you show it demolished). Copy the entire wall to your New walls layer. In the new wall, delete the demolished window and insert your new one.

In both cases any windows you don't want to show in Schedules can be tagged and eliminated from schedule lists.

The advantage with option 2 is that if you are using wall accessories on the exterior of your building they will be continuous, without joins, whereas with option 1 the wall accessory will join at each different wall section. I usually use option 1 for interior walls where this isn't a problem.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Larry:

For other ways, you can look at:
Demo doors and windows
and search the Forum.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14