BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Multi-window environment. Do we really need it?

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Given the nature of AC windows (a separate plan, S/E, detail window etc) where we can not see model updates simultaneously and we work in one window at the time raises a question: Do we really need multi-window environment?

Why do we have so elaborately structured Navigator/Organiser which can handle it all. Do you ever switch between windows manually (that is clicking on a window rather than on a viewpoint in Navigator)?

I used to work with two monitors having Plan and 3D windows open but I can not really see benefits as the 3D window does not show changes on plan instantly. That virtually equals pressing a button 'go to 3D'. And now we have Trace&Reference tool that diminishes a need to see other view in a different window for a rough visual reference.

give me some thoughts fellas....
::rk
19 REPLIES 19
Eduardo Rolon
I usually use Exposé to switch between windows, so having only one window would kill my productivity.

The pattern I use is AC standard shortcuts to move between the main windows (F2, F3, F4). For all others I select the views on plan and right+click to select open in new window and keep all windows open. In one project I had over 50 opened at the same time.

As the construction drawings start to get finalized I spend more time in the View Map tab of the Navigator to verify that everything is correctly defined.
I have also selected multiple views in the Navigator and open them all so that I can start closing them one by one as I finish the changes that I am working on. It is a good way to know that you are finishing that step of the project.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Brett Brown
Advocate
So why didn't either of you vote? This is the only good thing about Revit
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Paul King
Advisor
Brett wrote:

Because it is not really a wish? No specific proposition to vote "yes" to .

I think multiple windows are essential but so far poorly implemented - see http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=27702
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Paul King
Advisor
Paul wrote:
Brett wrote:

Because it is not really a wish as worded? No specific proposition to vote "yes" to .

I think multiple windows are essential but so far poorly implemented in ArchiCAD - see http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=27702
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Brett Brown
Advocate
The question is in the heading, surely every one including Rob would say essential or not needed
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I must admit I have not cast my vote because honestly I am not sure. The multi-windows environment has been in AC since its very conceiving (I think) so it is a kind of AC fundamental feature BUT is it really working? I am just curious if we can happily live without it... as I actually could.

An example would be Microstation. I understand the multi-windows environment there as all changes propagate themselves instantly in all windows.
The pattern I use is AC standard shortcuts to move between the main windows (F2, F3, F4). For all others I select the views on plan and right+click to select open in new window and keep all windows open. In one project I had over 50 opened at the same time.
my point here is: would it be a big deal for you to navigate through all viewpoints by either Navigator or rightclick or keyboard as opposed to using Expose (which does not apply for Win users or at least I am not aware of such a feature there)? How often do you actually click on the window itself to get to the particular viewpoint?

May be by ditching this system would/could significantly speed-up AC engine and simplify the work environment... that is just my speculation though.
::rk
Karl Ottenstein
ejrolon wrote:
I usually use Exposé to switch between windows, so having only one window would kill my productivity.
Ditto.

Not that there isn't a lot of room for improvement for window behavior.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
One of my colleagues here has lots of windows open, none of them maximised, so he can click in the relevant one to bring it to the front (if in fact he does select the right window). I prefer to do everything via the View Map so I know I have correct layers and settings, and have windows maximised so I can see the big picture. I haven't got used to resizing windows all the time like others here do. Old dog, new tricks etc.

Point being - people work in different ways so different methods suit.
Thomas Holm
Booster
s2art wrote:
I prefer to do everything via the View Map so I know I have correct layers and settings, and have windows maximised so I can see the big picture
Stuart, besides eliminating a source of errors, this way of working also makes Archicad a little more stable, and taxes the machine less, especially if you have other memory- and processor-hungry programs open. I try to recommend it all the time.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!