Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Draw a Degree, Min, Second Boundary Line

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys,
I know this is embarrassing, I have been using Archicad for long times and I still don’t even know how to draw a line with Degree Second and Boundary!!! I want to know how to draw boundary lines from following Boundary info, those three lines all joint together become a triangle:

1. 55.18m (206 03' 0'')
2. 44.77m (326 11' 0'')
3. 50.34m (74 47' 0'')

Hope to get response from you all Master Archicad Users!!

Much thanks
Star
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
In Project Preferences> Working Units> Angle Unit> degrees, minutes, seconds

Polyline or connected line method

r55.18a206 03 0ENTER
r44.77a326 11 0ENTER
r50.34a74 47 0ENTER - but it does not close the triangle.

the spaces in my text are actual spaces you enter...

i get a 1m gap, so i must be doing something wrong. why don't you have mm accuracy in your dims?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Althought you an do it as dwight, if youre doing a lot of these lines
For example in a lot subdivision plan and you need to write the "metes & bounds" , Theres a library part in "objects on line" that does exactly that.
It pays itself in a short time
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Star

You already have the Cadimage object that does boundaries (go to Cadimage menu > Site and Massing Tools > Survey Boundary (Object) ), and should have the Quick Tips sheet which explains how to use it. And the input is exactly as Dwight says - distance, angle (with spaces between degrees, minutes and seconds).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwight, S2art and Jocontreras,
Thanks for your help. Yeah, I will try to use the Site tools today.
Last question, does project north has any effect on degree min sec input?? becasue, it seems different when compare with the survey drawing!!

Star
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Star

Yes, first set your north correctly in 3D Projection Settings, click on the More Sun button.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi S2art
Thanks so much! it works this time!!! ^o^

Cheers
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Starchi wrote:
Hi Dwight, S2art and Jocontreras,
Thanks for your help. Yeah, I will try to use the Site tools today.
Last question, does project north has any effect on degree min sec input?? becasue, it seems different when compare with the survey drawing!!

Star
Project North shouldn't affect your angle input if it is set to degrees, minutes, seconds. It will only affect angles if the angle input is set to surveyor's units.

I have heard that either way, since Project North only allows for decimal degrees (accurate to just 2 decimal points) there can be a small discrepancy compared to an actual sureveyor's measurements.

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Link wrote:
I have heard that either way, since Project North only allows for decimal degrees (accurate to just 2 decimal points) there can be a small discrepancy compared to an actual sureveyor's measurements.
Project North can accept numbers up to 4 decimal points, go to Project Preferences > Working Units & Levels > Angle & Text Size Decimals in Dialog Boxes: you have options 0 to 4. Even if this is set to less than 4, you can input a number with 4 decimal places for the Project North in the Sun dialog box and ArchiCAD will use the extra decimal places.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes, of course. Thanks David.

I'm no maths genius, but does four decimal places cover all possible surveyor measurements in degrees, minutes, seconds? I haven't actually tested it, but have had clients complain about such a shortcoming affecting closing boundaries.

Cheers,
Link.