Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Scaling an image, saving it, importing to photoshop

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I have had a problem with this for ages, so I'am hoping someone can tell me how to do this =]

I have an image that i just import into ArchiCAD, but I just can't get it to the correct scale. I'am trying to get just an ordinary image (I have information on what the dimension should be) and just want it to fit to the correct scaling, once I do that I want to save the correct scaled image and import it into my Photoshop. But I have no idea how to scale the image in ArchiCAD.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks

Jamie
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use the Resize command in Archicad (CMD-K or CTRL-K by default) using the "Define graphically" option. Once you have done that you can go to the Resize dialogue again and see the scale factor that was used. Use the same factor in Photoshop if you want to scale it there.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did the resize, though it didn't work.

Like i selected my image and said 1:1000 and it still didn't have the correct dimensions.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Jamie
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you place the image using the Figure Tool you should be able to set dpi and stuff in the Figure Settings Dialog.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
On bit maps I usually use the graphic method of rescaling and click at the ends of a known dimension (usually a dimension string). Zoom in and out as needed for accuracy, but keep in mind that some images may be distorted in scanning. ArchiCAD cannot apply a differential scale in each direction nor can it skew the image.

If the only purpose of this is to get the scale right in Photoshop then you might as well just do it there. I'm not sure that running it through ArchiCAD is going to make any difference.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jamie_K wrote:
I did the resize, though it didn't work.

Like i selected my image and said 1:1000 and it still didn't have the correct dimensions.

Am I doing something wrong?
Try this -

Select the figure/drawing. Activate the 'Resize' command. Select 'define graphically' and hit OK. Select a point at the start of the known distance. Then select a point at the end of the known distance. Type in the actual distance you want between the two points and hit return.

Check in the figures settings to see what the actual overall size in mm of the drawing, now you have it to scale. Make a note of these dimensions.

Open the image in Photoshop. Open the 'image size' settings, make sure you have unchecked the 'resample image' setting. The only boxes now available should be the document width, height and resolution settings. Set the units to the same as before and enter in the overall sizes as measured in ArchiCAD. You will notice that the resolution will re-adjust automatically. Press OK and resave the image.

It should now be to scale (full size in terms of actual pixels per real-life inch). You can check this by doing a print preview and looking at the scale factor you have to view it at to fit.

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow THANK YOU so much fellas. I did the whole distance thing like you said, and now I have it to scale and i can change the scaling to anything now.