BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Length Label updating intermittantly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just been playing around with automatic labelling. It is not something I've really looked at before so I may have missed something! I'm also using AC11 with the latest patch.

I've labelled a beam created using the beam tool, with the beam label set to show X,Y and Z dimensions. It displays fine when I first set it. The problems occur if I stretch the length - it doesn't always update properly!

This probably happens over 50% of the time, and could be a big problem if you don't spot it. Interestingly this only occurs if you resize the beam in the same axis. If you stretch it so it forms an angle, it updates correctly. The label will also update correctly if you modify the labels position slightly on plan. Neither of these solutions qualify the usage as 'automatic'!

Hopefully the image below will illustrate the problem. The top beam is the original length and displays correctly. The middle one has been stretched but has not updated . The bottom one randomly decided to update after half a dozen resizes!

I have also had a play with this in AC12 and it seems to work correctly for some reason, so maybe it's AC11 specific. The code looks identical. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong as this could be really useful otherwise!

Does this work correctly for other people?

label_update1.jpg
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I get similar behavior to you, Peter. When I stretch the beam the label does not update. If I stretch twice, then undo once, it does update, however.

AC 11 also.

Peculiar.
Erika Epstein
Booster
OK. I'll bite. Where did you get the BEAM Label?
Is this only in the international library?
US AC11 labels.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
These are the default labels in the INT library. I will attach the beam label to my next post if you would like to try it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Beam label attached.

Cheers!

And thanks for checking S2art. It is strange behavior indeed!
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thanks Peter.
Amazing; I can be jealous of tool that doesn't YET work properly.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The label updates perfectly for me here (AC12 2523 INT FULL), but I don't get the arrow.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
The label updates perfectly for me here (AC12 2523 INT FULL), but I don't get the arrow.

Cheers,
Link.
The equivalent AC12 label works in 12 for me as well, so it seems this is AC11 behavior only.

To get the arrow to appear I had to uncheck 'use symbol arrow' in the symbol label settings!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Peter wrote:
The equivalent AC12 label works in 12 for me as well, so it seems this is AC11 behavior only.
Yes, I should have been more clear and said that your marker works fine for me in AC12, so it must be an AC11 issue, exclusively.
Peter wrote:
To get the arrow to appear I had to uncheck 'use symbol arrow' in the symbol label settings!
Shows how much I use that!

The Reference Guide does say this about the 'Use Symbol Arrow' checkbox:

Use the checkboxes to display the Symbol Label with its own internal color and/or arrow. Leave the boxes unchecked to use the color and arrowhead preferences defined in the Pointer panel.

So it does kinda make sense in a GS kind of way.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Link wrote:
The Reference Guide does say this about the 'Use Symbol Arrow' checkbox:

Use the checkboxes to display the Symbol Label with its own internal color and/or arrow. Leave the boxes unchecked to use the color and arrowhead preferences defined in the Pointer panel.

So it does kinda make sense in a GS kind of way.

Cheers,
Link.
Yes, it is not clear enough. Actually, you can create your own Symbol Label in GDL which can be anything and is not necessarily an arrow. Then you can control with the symbol arrow checkbox whether to use the arrow put there by AC or the arrow or whatever else you defined in the script of the Label. The color checkbox lets you decide whether you want to use the color defined for the Label in the Settings Dialog or you want to define colors for you symbol arrow in the 2D Script of the Label and apply that. This is similar to what is available in the Object Dialogs.

I will let the guys at GS Publishing Department know about this.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!