Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wondering if any one knows how I can make a custom line that uses letters, i.e. a water line with a "w" spaced evenly? Any help would be great. thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
The easiest way is to modify one of the similar lines out of the AC template file. Using Options>Element Attributes>Line Types, you can call up one of the lines with a letter in it (there's one with "CW" in it that will save some time) and use the "copy line components" into a floor plan, then modify, copy, and paste back into a new line type, and adjust "gap" to be zero. Check your reference manual if you get stuck.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl Ottenstein
This old article may help:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Creating%20Special%20Line%20Types?highlight=%28CategoryJapanes...

Note that you cannot 'explode' text in plan in ArchiCAD. So, you'll either have to draw your text with linework, or you can do some dwg tricks, convert in an external program, etc. (You can use the 3D text object and capture the linework from the 3D window, also. But, depending on the font, the letter(s) may have an awfully lot of line segments.) Keep the strokes for the letter(s) very simple.

As Richard said, take a look at the CW, SS, etc line types that are in the base template.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the responses, I will play with them over the weekend.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Karl wrote:
(You can use the 3D text object and capture the linework from the 3D window, also. But, depending on the font, the letter(s) may have an awfully lot of line segments.)
Dan Kunschik posted a 3D text method HERE.

When I use the method Richard recommended, I type the text, turn on trace and then trace the text with lines and arcs (splines won't be pasted into the line type). This way you can create a close copy a preferred font.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)