Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Arial font on PC is substituted w/ [Arial cyrillic] on Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having an odd font issue - when I create a new model in AC12 on my Mac from a template that we developed in AC12 on PC's (Windows XP), all of my Arial text gets turned into large script fonts with names that display as [Arial cyrillic], [Arial central european] and [Arial Narrow central european]. (the brackets are displayed in the font list)

The fonts used in the AC file on the Windows PCs are Arial and Arial Narrow.

I have the correct OpenType Arial fonts installed on my MacBook Pro, and I can select all of the text in AC and pick the correct Arial font from my list, and they change correctly, but that's not a sustainable solution. I also thought that I could delete the strange fonts from my Font Book app, but they are not visible there.

Then I opened the same file on another MacBook Pro running AC12, and there was no problem. I'm beginning to suspect some other apps that are installed only on my Mac.

Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
I had a similar experience when I moved to Mac from PC. It was as if the 'region' associated with the font got switched - Western becoming Cyrillic or whatever. I found that when I cleaned things up on the Mac, that things went back and forth in each direction without problem. No idea what the root issue is.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
I too experienced this months ago with one file on pc, mac G5 and mbp. I posted with no reply. After rebooting it suddenly was fine on all machines.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl - what did you do to "clean things up" on the Mac? I've rebooted the machine several times (only because the issue has been ongoing for a long time) but the fonts are still whacked.
thanks
tom
Karl Ottenstein
Tommy_P wrote:
Karl - what did you do to "clean things up" on the Mac? I've rebooted the machine several times (only because the issue has been ongoing for a long time) but the fonts are still whacked.
thanks
tom
Unfortunately, I had to edit every d*mn text element to fix things - which included opening every detail/worksheet/section/elevation. A tedious hour. I only had one project that mattered - and then fixed my template for future projects.

This is a strange bug, as once set up properly on Mac, the file goes back and forth fine.

I had planned on writing an add-on that would do the text conversion / repair automatically, but haven't gotten around to it...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rocorona
Booster
I had planned on writing an add-on that would do the text conversion / repair automatically, but haven't gotten around to it...
Not the right place to do this, but I can't resist to rant a little more on how the add-ons work in ArchiCAD.
I can understand that, when dealing with the model database, an add-on has to be written for a specific version of the program. But in other cases, like this one, why it can't be universal, or valid for a "range" of versions (say 9 and up)?
It is a pity that delicious pieces of software (think of arexline addons, and others) are forced to have a so short life!
I think you, Karl, are also not incouraged to make this add-on, knowing that in few monts it will be absolutely obsolete, and need to be rewritten. And if you want to do some support to users, you have to keep copies for the various (versions*platforms).
Sorry for the absolute OT!

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!