BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCad and 2D

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am currently an AutoCad user, hate it but it's what I am trained in and what my employers use.
I have just decided to make the switch from pc to mac at home and am seriously thinking of moving from ACAD 2009 to ArchiCad 12.
My main question is, a lot of the work I will do is mainly 2d plans, elevations and details. Do you guys think moving over to Archicad is a good move and does it produce reasonable results in 2d.
Are there are any examples of work online?

I do carry out a lot of 3d work for which I use SketchUp, but being able to produce 3d in Archicad would be fantastic.
15 REPLIES 15
Erika Epstein
Booster
Dylan,
In archicad we model. The "2D" elevations,plans and sections aree byproducts of the model. They are automatically produced by how you view the model.

Check out Graphisofts website. There are many examples. There are also free tutorials which you can do to familiarize yourself with the program. You might also find out who your local reseller is. He/she might have a user group near you where you can meet and see the work of other archibuddies.

Your experience with sketchup and 3Dmodeling will be helpful. Yes, there are differences in the two programs. There is an add-on which allows you to bring in sketchup models.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Thomas Holm
Booster
We do a lot of refurbishments, alteration work on existing buildings. Seldom time to model everything there. But 2D is excellently produced in Archicad as well.

And since Archicad simplifies doing the documentation, a lot of time is saved there too. The Save View - place on Layout - Publish Layout Book routine works fine, and lets you integrate drawing views with scanned hand sketches, PDFs, DWGs, photos and other images from external sources in an easy way. No need for layout programs like Indesign anymore.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erich
Contributor
Dylan,

Having recently made a similar transition, I feel it is worth the effort. But beware that there is certainly effort involved. Changes will no longer be as simple as adding a line to an elevation or section, instead you must model the change, but the trade-off is that all your drawings end up better coordinated. Also, despite the fact that I am self-taught, i would also recommend getting training to ease your transition.

Lastly, Erika, mentioned the Sketch-up add-on which is a free extension for the program. You should be aware that this option currently does not exist for the Mac platform for reasons that are somewhat unclear (everyone seems to be pointing fingers as everyone else). You can still use this but you need to use a windows machine or Boot-Camp on the Mac.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erika Epstein
Booster
Erich wrote:
Dylan,
Changes will no longer be as simple as adding a line to an elevation or section, instead you must model the change,
HTH
Aah, Erich, I think you have this backwards. Model it/the change once and all other views are updated. Far less work.
With 3D modeling programs there is a more of the work done up-front but farless to do when changes happen.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erich
Contributor
Erika,

I agree, it is better long term and your drawings end up much better coordinated. But when the boss is standing at your shoulder and wondering why that simple elevation change is not done yet... "after all, I only want another line in that door or window or roof or whatever...

Just an observation of differences. I would die before going back though.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Rakela Raul
Participant
http://www.archvista.com/pageview.aspx?id=18098#t

online sample (thanks to Erich)
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dylan,

I know of many ArchiCAD users in my area doing all plan views with walls, windows, doors, slabs, fills, lines, etc. and have a (perfect) 3D visualization at the end. Most of them agree this is comprehensive and not difficult to achieve... Once Sections and Elevations are involved, many skip the 3D model and continue with drawings (Auto-rebuild > Drawing or Worksheets) because of to much effort / time / ... to keep the 3D model alive, especially with refurbishments of existing buildings which do have a lot of 2D adds.
Even then, IMHO, productivity is still higher then plain 2D because of the powerful documentation tools and Trace of ArchiCAD. I do not think this working method is inferior, it all depends on the building and the organisation in the office.
10 years ago I started drawing in ArchiCAD (=2D) and I discovered it was far more fun then ACAD and Microstation. Soon ArchiCAD was too tempting to learn full 3D documentation, step by step, but with complete control of my output. Since then I build in AC! When needed, I just draw... no harm done
Erika Epstein
Booster
Erich wrote:
But when the boss is standing at your shoulder
She'll learn

Model it once, not draw it in every view it shows.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad has excellent 2D capabilities and is far superior to Autocad's 2D.

Up to AC8 we used to draw all our elevations and sections as 2D, like in Autocad. Now it's even better!
Learn and get certified!