Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Problems Exporting a Sketchup File Into Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm currently having a few problems exporting a sketchup model into archicad to create a roof structure i thought was impossible to achieve using Archicad alone.

So i created these roof structures of varying height and complexity with the intention of simply exporting into Archicad using the sketchup export add-on i have installed.

Yet when i attempt to export the file into Archicad i get absoloutely nothing..not even an error message saying it had failed...just a blank plan and nothing in 3d.

I have attached a screenshot of the roofs created in sketchup ready for export. If anyone can suggest any way of overcoming this problem i'd be extremely grateful

Thanks alot,

James

P.S Im using AC12 on a computer with dual core processor - 3GB RAM and 145GB Hard Drive
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
peach49 wrote:
Yet when i attempt to export the file into Archicad i get absoloutely nothing..not even an error message saying it had failed...just a blank plan and nothing in 3d.
What version of SketchUP are you using?
PeterKis wrote:
- The current SketchUP add-on supports .skp file format up to v6. When you exchange data with the SketchUP application, please be sure that the appropriate file format is used.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ah...i think im using Sketchup 7 at work where im attempting to do the export...i've just tryed to export another file using V6 at home and its worked fine...so ill give that a try tomorrow!

Thanks very much for your help
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Loosely related:

I believe I saw one of the tutorials showing that objects from GOOGLE WAREHOUSE can be DROPPED right into ArchiCAD.... Is this TRUE? I don't recall it explaining the methodology...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Erika Epstein
Booster
After installing the plugin:
File>Google Earth Connections>Import Model from 3D Warehouse.

Works a treat!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Are you freakin kidding me! Another NOT AVAILABLE for MACINTOSH crap...

Ugh... I quit...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, a frustration for Mac users with no timeline for a fix, as the problem relates to software issues between the Google programming interface (API) and the methodologies used by ArchiCAD to date.

One workaround if you have a SketchUp Pro license is to save things out of SketchUp as 3DS and use the 3DS importer in ArchiCAD.

That just brings up a separate annoyance with Google (continuing the exact policies of @Last, who they acquired): a SketchUp Pro license is only for one platform - Mac or Windows. You have to pay for the other platform, or go through hoops to switch platforms. Not unlike Adobe. All of these guys let you install software on one desktop and one portable computer - but will not provide licenses that let your portable be a different OS. Stinks. Definitely a nice thing about ArchiCAD (with dongle) and Artlantis (with internet activation).

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dennis Lee
Booster
vfrontiers wrote:
Are you freakin kidding me! Another NOT AVAILABLE for MACINTOSH crap...

Ugh... I quit...
I wonder if this is a result of a bigger fight going on....Google vs Apple ?
They are competing in the smart phone business for sure and probably many more, and it's quite possible that things are not that friendly between the two giants... and maybe Graphisoft is just an innocent (powerless) bystander in this. Just some speculating...
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Eduardo Rolon
Google's CEO? Eric Schmidt is on Apple's Board therefore that might be a very strange war.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

owen
Newcomer
peach49 wrote:
I'm currently having a few problems exporting a sketchup model into archicad to create a roof structure i thought was impossible to achieve using Archicad alone.

So i created these roof structures of varying height and complexity with the intention of simply exporting into Archicad using the sketchup export add-on i have installed.
Sorry I can't help with the problem .. but my understanding was the SketchUp conversion process would convert everything to 3 ArchiCAD elements - Slabs, Walls and Roofs. For ArchiCAD to import the SketchUp model it has to be something AC is capable of modeling with those tools - so it is possible to model it in ArchiCAD, just maybe not as quickly as SketchUp.

Personally i always found the SketchUp import to be a bit of a mess (99.9 degree roofs stretching to infinity, etc) .. but it has been a long time since i tried it out so maybe it has improved.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5