Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Domed and vaulted roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
My students and I are having a hard time getting domed and vaulted ceilings to position on top of walls. How do we get the roof to begin at the top of selected walls?
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Set the height of the pivot line at 'b' in screenshot. Then when you draw the actual shape of the roof, start it at this same spot/line.

In a typical wood frame, the pivot line is the plate line along the inside face of stud. Other construction types can be different. WHen you draw your roof you can start it anywhere, at the eave edge if you want, where the eave edge is vertically will be set by the pivot plane height and the roof slope.

For domed roofs, you are not drawing the pivot line. With this roof type the center of the dome is the start height of this roof type. It too is set in 'b'.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it only domed and vaulted roofs that give you a problem ?
Can you successfully place a simple sloped roof where you want it ?
Also, could you state your AC version number and platform in your
signature. This always helps people give you accurate advise.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to both of you. We are using AC-12, and just getting started. Sloped roofs don't give us any problem, but the domes and barrel vaults are giving us fits. We are also having problems when we try to rotate domed buildings in 3D - the computers seem to have a real hard time with it (slow, jerky, etc.). We are using Dell 745's with 2GB of RAM and whatever video card Dell puts in their educational computer.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Your machines are on the low end in terms of memory, but you should be ok.

Domes and vaults can are memory intensive. Is your 3D window set to open GL? This will make it look a bit harsh, but you can move around much easier.

View> 3D View Mode> Open GL

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"