Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Procedure to Import 3D Objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm feeling very dense today. Can anybody give me a quick lesson about how to import a 3d object, such as a manufacturer's object into ArchiCad? All I have been able to do is to bring in the object in 2D and then draw lines over it in a worksheet. Then I can bring it in to a project, but it is still 2D. The book says there is a procedure to convert an object (into a GDL?) object so it works similar to those found in the library.
My purpose is to grab the manufacturer's object and place it in my plan without having to redraw it. Also I would like to keep the object's dimensions. I just don't want to import any layers that are part of the manufacturer's object, so I don't increase my number of layers.
Please enlighten me. Thanks.
Roger
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi what formats are the models you are trying to import?
If they are 3DS or sketchup you can use the importer add-ons, however they will come in triangulated.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Usually the models that are provided by manufacturers are in .dwg or .dxf format. I am playing with Sketchup to see if I can bring them in that way.

Roger
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, well if you have a 3d .dxf file try opening it as an object. It will probably open up as a 3d wireframe object though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried using File>Libraries and Objects>Import Blocks from DWG/DXF and I waited. Still have not seen anything turn up anywhere. I zoomed to extents in case I was looking too closely and still nothing.
I managed to get the man in wheelchair sketchup model to come in, but than I drew a little projector and saved the file in the project library and I can not get it to import. I think the Man in Wheelchair may have downloaded as a .gsm object.
This is taking too long. Time to go home and mess with it over food.
Thanks for your input.
Roger
Anonymous
Not applicable
for the .dxf go file>libraries&objects>open object then select it and it will open it as an object. But it will just be a wire frame model.
What model are you trying to convert? someone may already have one.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see that two of the .dwg files are 2D. I brought them in and drew lines on them in 2D and created a .mod file for a Bradley sink system. When I was drawing it looked like I was following the top view of a 3D model. No such luck. Of course they are lines only. I will try it again with a cabinet model.
I still have not found how to get a Sketchup model to import.

Thanks again for your input.
Roger
Anonymous
Not applicable
rhendrickson wrote:
I still have not found how to get a Sketchup model to import.
You need to download the sketchup importer add on, click on goodies in the help menu.
It will triangulate everything tho.