Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Has anyone programmed this object?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,

There are some very nice objects that "tables" and displays all pens, fills and materials used in an actual project. I don't know who did them but I was inspired to create a similar thing that draws a line for every layer and also displays the layer name. The purpose is of course to calibrate and visualize the bylayer dwg-export. I can't do it so I wonder if any of you GDL-gurus has done it?
Regards,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
5 REPLIES 5
rocorona
Booster
I did one of those objects, in the past, for pen colors & width. But pens are a special kind of Attribute, with a fixed number (always 255 + 0 & -1).

I don't think the GDL can access to the layer names... moreover, a single GDL object is always placed on a single layer...! Admitting to create a library part that knows on wich layer it have to go, you need to place as many of them as the number of layers in jour project.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
GLOB_LAYER will return the name of the current layer that an object is on.
But you would need to place this object on every layer.

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do with the line for each layer as layers do not have default line types.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
rocorona wrote:
I did one of those objects, in the past, for pen colors & width. But pens are a special kind of Attribute, with a fixed number (always 255 + 0 & -1).

I don't think the GDL can access to the layer names... moreover, a single GDL object is always placed on a single layer...! Admitting to create a library part that knows on wich layer it have to go, you need to place as many of them as the number of layers in jour project.
Thanks!
For your anwer and your efforts! Yes I need to place one line for every layer...it's not a big deal to do this manually but it would have been nice with an automated drafting-slave.
😉
AC 25 SWE Full

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Barry wrote:
GLOB_LAYER will return the name of the current layer that an object is on.
But you would need to place this object on every layer.

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do with the line for each layer as layers do not have default line types.

Barry.
Thanks Barry,
I think I can crack that one. As you say, line types doesn't matter really. It could be whatever line since it' bylayer export. One line for each layer and then the AC user can practise dwg conversion with these lines. Typically the line type used in AC would be the same as the bylayer-created line type in acad. If the acad user opens the dwg file created in AC and the line type is as expected according to the bylayer export, and the name is correct the all is golden. Otherwise there is something wrong in the translator.

I would prefer an in-built dwg-translation checker in AC...like a viewer so the users that have no acad in their office can be 100% sure of the outcome.
Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

owen
Newcomer
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Hi,

There are some very nice objects that "tables" and displays all pens, fills and materials used in an actual project. I don't know who did them but I was inspired to create a similar thing that draws a line for every layer and also displays the layer name. The purpose is of course to calibrate and visualize the bylayer dwg-export. I can't do it so I wonder if any of you GDL-gurus has done it?
Regards,
Mats
Are you refering to the ones in the ACE Library? There are a few great ones in there - i think one was done by Matthew Lohden and another by an Aussie guy (think it was Rob?)

I was pretty sure they had their details in the GDL scripts.

As for the Layers .. unfortunately these are not available as Globals, only the Layer the object is on - so no array of names Just another item on the wishlist for some time. Being able to access layer visibility within an object would be sooo useful...
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5