Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

floor and wall framing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to create structural elements? I want to create a simple floor framing plan, and a roof framing plan, but I cannot find a way to do this. Tried TrussMaker, but that wasn't successful.

I'm new to ArchiCAD, so maybe I'm just missing t. Seems like a no-brainer tool.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14
Rick Thompson
Expert
You can use roof maker for the roof, and it does a good job. However, there is/was a bug in AC12. It might have been fixed with the last lib update. The floors are manual, which is really about the only way I can see it ever working. You just have too many decisions to make. You can use the "JoistBeam" object in the library. You can even get carried away and ID it with the lumber size and make material takeoffs, but that is a lot to do. I basically place the parameter band joist, then place a joist and multiply it. IT is actually very quick once you get use to it. I keep a template with all joist sizes ID'ed and resized for this.

For the walls I have not been happy with AC's way, and have not really had a need to provide wall framing. Cigraph has an add-on that I hear works.. you just have to buy it, but I think it is a good tool.
Picture-1.jpg
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
That image is from the Cigraph tool, I surmise? Vectorworks has some built-in framing tools which are very useful, work pretty well, but I tried the create beam and copy thing. While it takes a little longer, and there is no material take-off (part of making a BIM tool, IMHO), it does seem better.

Hopefully in future versions, AC will provide some good framing tools.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Rick Thompson
Expert
That screen shot is from Archicad. The material list is from using the Calculate functions, which might not be "visible" if you have the basic Menu items selected. You have to turn those on. The calc functions is a whole different story. A search will pull up many discussions, but it is time consuming to set up. Once set up, it is pretty automatic from there on.

I actually grabbed that image from another thread I was involved with. So there is a good bit on info on the forum.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, the framing model in that image is built from simple beams, rather than a add-on?
Rick Thompson
Expert
Correct.. you just place one, and multiply at 16"oc.. or whatever. I go back and double up where needed.

Some of teh settings are not right, I actually use an old part from AC6.5. I just opened the new one to show you and set the settings.. but not all correctly:) I have many old files, so I just stuck with the old object.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, that looks great.

So, let me see if I understand AC's paradigm: Objects are created and then stored (in library) and reused. Does there seem to be any conflict from objects created in older versions and then used in newer versions,or have you had success.

I'm using Vectorworks now, and there are some frustrating idiosyncrasies (like file corruption because of an object created in an older version).

If I can do my framing this way, I'm happy. I suspect that I can just draw my structural elements on the appropriate storey, using a structural layer, and then is there a way to show show and hide layers on a drawing sheet?

Please excuse the rudimentary questions. I really appreciate your help.
Rick Thompson
Expert
Object compatibility can be an issue, so you need to use some care here. I rarely have problems keeping old object. I have actually gone several releases and just kept the older library loaded. When I do start using the newer one (it has something I like), then any object I know I need for old projects I keep in a folder named as such. I'm pretty sure my library habits would make many AC gurus cringe However, I work with stock plans so kepping easy access to all my files is needed. Again, a lot is in the forum here, you'll need to search. I am not an expert on libraries, by any means.

I place the framing on a "framing layer".. so yes, as you describe. You can then turn it off and on. Look into layer combinations. They can be stored with the "View".
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
That makes sense. I'll sniff around the forum some more and see what other info I can find.

Thanks a lot, Rick!
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
mr_iagea wrote:
That makes sense. I'll sniff around the forum some more and see what other info I can find.
If you are looking for a comprehensive framing package, take a look at the FrameWright add-on too. It includes focussed modelling and scheduling tools. The attached image will give you some idea of the use it is put to.
framing.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch