Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can I create a library from DWG files?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I poked around the forum archives and didn't see a similar thread, but my apologies if this is a repost.

I have a CD of ~600 moulding samples. Each is a separate .dwg file. I'd like to put these into either one .pln file or create a library for easy referencing. Is there a way to do this that isn't overly labor intensive? I know I could merge each dwg individually, or save each dwg as an object... but I really don't want to waste all the time repeating this >600 times.

Any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4
Erich
Contributor
I would try the "Import Blocks from DXD/DWG" command. In my WE it lives in at:

File>Libraries and Objects

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Dennis Lee
Booster
If you have ONE dwg file that has all those 600 blocks in it, then it will be easy. You can MERGE that file into ArchiCAD, with the DWG translator setting "Translate AutoCAD blocks as" to "Library Parts". This is under the "Open Options" of the translator settings.

Then, when you merge, there will be a dialog box popping up asking you to specify a folder. This folder will then end up with 600 library parts, same name as the autocad blocks after you merge the file.

Hope that helps.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
I would try the "Import Blocks from DXD/DWG" command. In my WE it lives in at:

File>Libraries and Objects

HTH
Thanks, but this still will only import 1 file at a time. I have 600 separate .dwg files. Is there no macro command (a la photoshop) that will just run in the background for me?
Or maybe some sort of 3rd party batch conversion software?
Eduardo Rolon
You could try creating an Automator script to see if it works. Obviously this assumes that you are a Mac User and using as a minimum OS 10.4
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator