Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Artlantis is not Working on Nehalem 8- core!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've just recently purchased a new Mac Pro (Nehalem 8- core) because I've started to work on bigger projects.

Prior to this purchase I was operating Archicad 11 along with Artlantis on the previous generation MBP.

The machine runs awesomely for the most part. Archicad works fine. However, operating in Artlantis is a different story. Opening a file is not the problem, it's applying shaders onto a surface that I have a problem with.

5 times out 10, applying the default shaders provided by Artlantis will crash the program.

10 times out of 10, applying Dosch shaders will crash Artlantis.

So far I have wiped my hard drive clean and reinstalled leopard and Artlantis.... but still nothing.

I've taken my computer to apple and they said there's nothing wrong with it.

I've spoken to my distributor and the Artlantis dev. team. No answer yet. (it's been about a week)

My system has 12 gigs of ram, and an ATI 512 MB graphics card. Is anyone having the same problem? Or am I doing something devastatingly wrong here?

It can't be the exported file because i tested it on my MBP and it works just fine.

The whole situation is discouraging because Artlatnis was one of the major reasons why I purchased this desktop for....

My deadlines are approaching soon. Any help is good help at this time.

Thanks,
Fraydo

Here's the crash log if anyone is interested.......

Process: Artlantis [513]
Path: /Applications/Artlantis Studio 2/Artlantis Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/Artlantis
Identifier: com.Abvent.ArtlantisStudio2007
Version: 2.1.0.4 (2.1.0.4)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [68]

Date/Time: 2009-04-13 22:01:33.803 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G3553)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000005f5568b3
Crashed Thread: 43

[Moderator: anyone wanting to see the full crash log can go here:
http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=support/forum/read&mes=1474
]
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
Fraydo,

The Artlantis forums are really the place for this, and it sounds like you have filled out a support ticket there? (But, you posted to the Shaders forum over there - and it should have been in the "General" forum which covers crashes, installation issues, etc.)

While Abvent is working on the issue, and you mentioned there that you have stock hardware and memory ruling out memory... I have to wonder if it is related to (1) hyperthreaded Nehalem cores - giving the possibility of 16 active threads or (2) the ATI card.

Leopard does not have a CPU panel in System Preferences (by default), but I just found this article that points to a utility that is part of the Developer Tools (which you can install from your Leopard DVD - have to install it all just to get this utility, I think):
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071028005353629

With it, you can temporarily disable one or more cores. I would try disabling all but one core and see what happens, and then enable one core at a time until things crash again. If Artlantis runs OK with fewer cores enabled, then it is definitely an Abvent bug to be fixed. If not, it may be the ATI card and you might see if your Apple support can swap in an nVidia card to see if that makes a difference.

Is your version of Artlantis the full, licensed version, and the current 2.1.0.4 patch?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a student license.
Anonymous
Not applicable
KARL!!!!!!!

You are a genius.

You saved my butt. I am in your debt sir.

The limit is CPU 5.

Completely whoops my MBP!
Rakela Raul
Participant
Is your version of Artlantis the full, licensed version, and the current 2.1.0.4 patch?
i think there is a newer fix (2.11)
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Chazz
Enthusiast
I can't say I have done extensive testing on my Nehalem 8- core but I have applied plenty of shaders and have yet to see a crash in fact I saw more crashing on my MBP. Sure is fast though....
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
Glad it worked, Fraydo ... at least you can meet your deadline!

As a return favor - please report your experience to Abvent so that they can be sure to address whatever is happening that prevents Artlantis from being stable with all cores enabled. 🙂

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure will.

I've tried installing the new hotfix, but it seems to yield the same results.

Uninstalling it and then reinstalling is my next step, but I seem to be having a problem with deactivating it. I'll keep you posted once I get my license issue straightened out.

Chazz:
I envy that your system is not experiencing the same things mine is going through at the moment.

Hopefully the hotfix will put things in order.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update:

The hotfix was installed.

Shaders from the default library work just fine.

Dosch shaders still crash, and require 3 cores to be disabled.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Fraydo wrote:
Chazz: I envy that your system is not experiencing the same things mine is going through at the moment.

Like I said, I have not done enough testing to definitively say I don't have the same issue and anyone who relies on Artlants would be advised to hold off on buying a new MacPro until this is resolved or more fully explored. But my hat is off to Karl for finding a fix for you. Bravo!
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current