Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Turning Off Trace Reference

Anonymous
Not applicable
this may be a silly question, but how does one turn off the trace reference after opening a source view with layout as reference? It is a very nice feature when arranging layouts, but I find it distracting when working on the actual drawing. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Shift+F2 by default (on mine at least)
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
right clk with nothing selected... bottom of palette = TRACE... you can toggle OFF here.

Better yet, in the same context menu, it lets you put up the TRACE palette.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I used to love TRACE... now it is so stinking slow, I can get anything done...

Kind of like trying to use the schedule like EXCEL and type in a bunch of values... It is PAINFULLY SLOW..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both. I did each of them, and both work fine. I do not like using icons any more than I have to, so the Shift/F2 will be my choice. Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm preferring icons at the moment: broken left arm makes some key combinations a little awkward , but the Shift+F2 shortcut was easier to describe.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
s2art wrote:
I'm preferring icons at the moment: broken left arm makes some key combinations a little awkward , but the Shift+F2 shortcut was easier to describe.
I actually prefer having the TRACE PALETTE up on my screen all the time. There is so much more you can do with the palette, like....

1. Adjust the color of the trace reference (and of the CURRENT items)

2. Flip the display order where the Trace is on top of the Current.

3. And more....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear you are injured, s2art. So, please tell me, vfrontier, what are the practical uses of the trace feature. I came to this position straight after getting my AutoCAD Certificate ( I sold heavy equipment parts for 15 years prior) and have had no training on ArchiCAD. I am self taught. I have over the past two years gotten pretty proficient, but anything that I can learn will make this program even more enjoyable. I have to use AutoCAD at home periodically, and I hate it now.....
Dennis Lee
Booster
Trace Reference is very crucial to my work. When I start a project, I have several stories below the first story set up for References. I have the assessor's map, aerial photo from google, as built site plan, floor plan, elevations etc., and use them at various times of design - as well as during layouting, doing plan / elevation comparisons, etc., etc.

I have the trace pallette toggle set to keyboard shortcut T so whenever I need to modify the colors or the transparency and such I just hit T and it shows up.

Very, very useful, UNIQUE and fantastic feature of AC, I must say.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jeff wrote:
Sorry to hear you are injured, s2art. So, please tell me, vfrontier, what are the practical uses of the trace feature. I came to this position straight after getting my AutoCAD Certificate ( I sold heavy equipment parts for 15 years prior) and have had no training on ArchiCAD. I am self taught. I have over the past two years gotten pretty proficient, but anything that I can learn will make this program even more enjoyable. I have to use AutoCAD at home periodically, and I hate it now.....
Here is an excellent article on Trace Reference by Eric Bobrow:

http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2008/issue28-archicad.html

Lots of examples in it for possible uses.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27