Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm trying to draw an existing 'L' stair that starts out 4' wide at the bottom half, then changes to 3'-6" at the top. This wouldn't be that hard to do, except for the single winder in the middle. ArchiCAD doesn't have a way to change the width for different parts of the same stair. Any ideas on how to model this so I can show the client what the new stair rail, etc. will look like?

thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
pdxkim wrote:
I'm trying to draw an existing 'L' stair that starts out 4' wide at the bottom half, then changes to 3'-6" at the top.
Hi pdxkim,

Maybe the "Create Stair Using Selection" tool could help you (it can be found under the "Design" menu). For more information, please do a search for "Custom Stair Based on Manually Drawn Elements" in AC's help.

Cheers,
Adrian Tudoreanu
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll try that. I've just started using ArchiCAD, so I'm just starting to learn about all these things. I have so much to learn!!!

Thanks for your help.
rocorona
Booster
ArchiStair is not able to make ALL the stair a designer can need, but it you can live with some semplification, try using the "custom" function.
Draw the shape in plan, with a simple fill, and the raise line, with lines and arcs. Be sure the lines are perfectly connected each oyher, and with the "end" sides of the fill. Then choose the command "Create stair from fill", from the Design menu.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
rocorona wrote:
ArchiStair is not able to make ALL the stair a designer can need, but it you can live with some semplification, try using the "custom" function.
I assume you mean Stairmaker?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
rocorona
Booster
Oh yes... sure!

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
if all else fails (and i know stairmaker can be a PITA), you could just model the thing with slabs, add some 2D work on the plan for arrow etc. some SEO (solid element operations) that would trim unnecessary bits out... etc... BUT i 'd use this as a last resource if you really can't get stairmaker to work for you.
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can create two stairs, one for each lef of the 'L'.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"