Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Critique of Kitchen Render from Lightworks

Arcadia
Booster
This is my second attempt at a kitchen and was done in Lightworks. It,s had a little photoshopping to finish off as well. Any comments or tips? Thanks.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
22 REPLIES 22
Thomas Holm
Booster
Too harsh. Not a place where I'd enjoy my meals.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Arcadia
Booster
What do you mean by 'harsh'? Are you talking about lighting, furnishing, what? I'm after comments on the rendering not your personal taste in interior design. Don't be dismissive be constructive - I'm trying to self learn Lightworks here and this is only my second interior render.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Arcadia wrote:
What do you mean by 'harsh'? Are you talking about lighting, furnishing, what? I'm after comments on the rendering not your personal taste in interior design. Don't be dismissive be constructive - I'm trying to self learn Lightworks here and this is only my second interior render.
Sorry. I had no intention of disrespect. You asked for critique, and you got it. No offence meant.
I think your rendering is technically OK. It lacks feeling, the coziness of a warm, welcoming place, where I'd like to spend my time so much that I'd hire the architect to design it for me. In short, I think it lacks the 'story' that Dwight always speaks about, the story I want to tell the client. (But if you just want to say 'I can make high-tech kitchens just like any kitche salesman', look no further)

I think you should be glad that you've achieved such a technical level after only two attempts, that it's possible to critizise this way, instead of the simple 'it lacks undersun' etc. If you read Dwight's book(s) thoroughly you'll see what I mean. You'll have to raise your gaze from the tools after you're learnt them. Now is the time to think 'what do I want them to feel...' Just keep up speed and you'll get there in no time!

(oh, and by harsh, I meant the lighting in the first place. But color balance, color of light and ambience, etc etc, may also matter. If you want more detailed advice at this stage, you'll have to ask specific questions and describe what goals you're aiming for. It's not possible for us to conclude that from your picture. Personal taste is what it's all about)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Arcadia
Booster
That's more like what I was asking for. It's the techincal aspects of the rendering I was interested in mainly and your comment about the warmth of the light I will take on board.

As far as the design of the kitchen and the colours selected goes well i would say a couple of things. One is I admit it shows a certain style but it is a style that is popular in middle class modern housing (in fact this is a holiday home) at a certain price point so the fact that you don't like it of course means little. The next point is this render is being done after the fact and the kitchen design is as my client wanted it so it is not for me to judge. I picked the colours and I chose warm colours and woodgrain to soften it rather than the harsh white mininalist kitchens that are popular.

Also you are viewing a small low-res pic. The full size pic does look better and slightly warmer. However I will try adding a bit of warmth to it - maybe by using a warming filter in PS. I've thought about buying Dwights book but its not cheap and I've spent $20k on my business this year so I've drawn a line and said no more for a while. I'm sure I will get more out of the book if I can learn as much as possible before I get it anyway. Thanks for the comments.
Arcadia
Booster
Version 2 with warmer lighting, boosted saturation and less sharpening for web display. Looks better I think.
CHAFFEY-KITCHEN-WEB.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Arcadia
I could not do as well as you have done, because I don't need renderings in my practice and so don't work with them,yet.
However I think you might want to tone down the bright floor and refer, as highlights tend to draw the eye too fast.
In this case, the floor and refer draw the eye and try to steal the show.
The lighter ceiling I like because it gives meaning (source) for all the illumination and is up and out of the way, sort of.
Just a personal, photographers opinion.
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks Lec. I admit i struggled to get the floor tiles to not be so bright but still appear white. I agree with you about it being too dominant. I might actually try changing to a light beige tile with white grout instead to tone it down. Cheers.

BTW I don't really have much call for rendering in my practice either but one way to change this is to actually do a few and put them on your business website and things might change. I've actually got some more of this work coming up now. Makes a change from boring documenation!
Erika Epstein
Booster
Very nice! Perhaps a warm tone to the lights on the table for a more welcoming atmosphere?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks Erika.

Didn't find the answer?