Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

suggestions on modeling a precast concrete panel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still Archi-newbies. Any suggestions on best approaches to modeling a precast concrete panel industrial building. We will also need to create a marketing image / rendering. We are tempted to create an object for each type of panel.

We've done complex profile walls and can show horizontal reveals etc. that way. The vertical joints have us confused. Tried to create a custom fill, but can not specify a unique origin. So the vertical joints are hard to control.

Should we be drawing the vertical joints by hand? Attached is the corner of a similar building done a while back in a 2D program.[/img]

ParkEasta103Elev.jpg
15 REPLIES 15
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Either model it as it will be built (with actual joints between the panels, so that the materials do not "mend") or draw 2D lines -- whichever is most beneficial to your needs. You could also create the vertical joints with SEOs if you aren't too keen on segmented walls.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you place columns where the vertical joints will be on a layer that is normally turned off they will subtract from the wall without having to use SEO. It's then easy to adjust them if required.
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Charlie wrote:
/....... Any suggestions on best approaches to modeling a precast concrete panel industrial building./.....[/img]
Charlie, always model. 2D is last resort.
You are welcome to use a part I updated from '03.
It is saved as AC 12. You haven't stated what version you are using.
See pic attached.
(Part attached next message)
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Charlie wrote:
/..So the vertical joints are hard to control./.....[/img]
Not any more Charlie, part attached.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or, if you are on 12 you can use the Curtain Wall tool. Create custom panels for each type of concrete panel. The joints would be custom framing members.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
If you place columns where the vertical joints will be on a layer that is normally turned off they will subtract from the wall without having to use SEO. It's then easy to adjust them if required.
this is how i do mine.. pretty simple.. and u can move them when ever you want..
i fond it easy to locate then in elevation, then hide them once located where i need, leaving the recessed joint
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for some great ideas. We'll be playing around with them today and tomorrow. We do have 12 and have seen some curtainwall demo's, though have no hands on experience. Probably will try that as one option just for the experience. Seems like it ought to work - precast is definitely a curtainwall, all the demo's just assume the curtainwall is glass.

Strikes me that Rod's download and curtainwall will best translate into a rendered version.

Thanks, CB
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I want to bump this one.
The column method is simple but what if I want the vertical line to be really thin, like hairline, and go thin like that to dwg. HowdoIdo?
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
I want to bump this one.
The column method is simple but what if I want the vertical line to be really thin, like hairline, and go thin like that to dwg. HowdoIdo?
/Mats
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but to get a hairline in a profile you can add a node and set the materials differently to each side of the node. These materials can be copies of the same one so the appearance is the same (just the names are different).