Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer Converter - Legacy Issues

kevin b
Contributor
We have recently made some tweaks to our layering system and updated our template. We now have an issue where users are copy/pasting and/or merging old files into a new one started from the new template resulting in too many layers and things not reacting as users expect because all of the new preset views, layer combinations, etc are set up using the new standards.

Is there someting out there (or something I'm already with AC12 that I'm missing) which will allow users to "easily" convert elements on legacy layers to the correct new layers. When I say easy I mean easy for typical users, to mean taking 10 minutes and going through Find/Select to do it manually is easy but I get a lot of eye rolls when I tell them that is what they need to do. If it's not easy they won't do it, if they don't do it, we never get rid of the old layers, drawings come out with things not showing at deadline crunches.

Ideally I like to have something to automate the process, simliar to the Layer Conversion feature in the DWG Converter. Does something like this exist? What are others doing in these cases? Any help would be appreciated.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kevin

I don't know of a layer converter as such, but if you change selected items to the Archicad layer before copying, paste into new file, then change layers to the new file's system, no layer names will be transferred from the old to the new file.

HTH
Erika Epstein
Booster
Careful you don't bring in other attributes.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Cadimage had a 'Layer Translator' they created back in 2003 that worked like a DWG/DXF translator, but worked on ArchiCAD to ArchiCAD translations.

I have it here, but it doesn't work with AC12. Besides I wouldn't pass it on without their permission. Maybe you can drop the boys a line and see if they have an updated version?

Cheers,
Link.
owen
Newcomer
Link wrote:
Cadimage had a 'Layer Translator' they created back in 2003 that worked like a DWG/DXF translator, but worked on ArchiCAD to ArchiCAD translations.

I have it here, but it doesn't work with AC12. Besides I wouldn't pass it on without their permission. Maybe you can drop the boys a line and see if they have an updated version?

Cheers,
Link.
Was this ever publicly available? Can't find anything on their site. It sounds like a fantastically useful tool for CAD managers .. and something i have always wondered why Graphisoft did not include .. really, we have a DWG translator but no native AC translator????
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
kevin b
Contributor
I contacted them, they have not offered it for several years. The developer(s) of that particular tool were on holiday for several weeks and was told I'd be contacted when they get back if there are any plans for newer versions.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram