Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

File Export to '.gem'?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Iv recently created a 3D model of a project using Archicad and its proven hugely successful with the client and design team as a whole. Yet i have been approached by energy consultants for the project asking whether the 3D model can be exported as 3D for use in their thermal efficiency calculations.

They have enquired as to whether the file can be saved as a '.gem' file, yet i cannot find any evidence of this in the program help files or on this forum. Does anyone have any knowledge of this file type, or alternatively any other way of exporting the model in 3D for further use in these types of energy calculation programs?

Iv heard of the direct export capabilities between Archicad and Ecotect software, yet when put to the consultants this isnt the type of software being used to perform these calculations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi James,

I think .gem files are geometry files, maybe something to do with IES <ve>? (Their site seems to be down at the moment!)

I believe gbXML is the 'standard' file format for transferring an ArchiCAD model into an energy analysis program. Ralph Wessel (Encina software) on these forums is developing a gbXML exporter at a reasonable cost. Maybe send him a PM?

It might be best to ask your energy consultants exactly what software they are using to save any confusion. I suppose alternative formats to check with them may be 3d .dwg or .IFC also, but I should imagine gbXML is more likely.

Good luck!

Edit - Try this link to IES instead - http://www.iesve.com/UK-ROI
Stupidly designed front page doesn't work on previous link!