Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 'stops responding'

Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm having an ongoing problem where archicad 'stops responding'; it's not crashing, and the error reporting function doesn't come up - it just hangs. Typically it will occur when i change applications (to check email, use web browser, work on a document etc.) and then when i try to return, archicad doesn't come back (application tag still visible, but windows task manager gives status as not responding). Usually also, using 'end task' in the windows task manager won't work (i get the pop-up asking me to confirm i want to end the task and then, after i confirm, the pop-up asking if i want to send a report, which i've done) but the application remains open but not responding.
Sometimes, i can terminate the archicad application using 'end process' however this is not always successful and i need to restart my computer to reset it.
I'ts typically happening with one project (over several revisions with different file names) however as its the project i've been working on recently about 80% of the time, i can't be sure it's an issue with the file or statistically more likely to happen while working on this file.
A similar thing was happening previously when rendering or rebuilding large models, however i assumed that was due to lack of resources - since upgrading RAM, CPU usage is usually less than 10% when application stops responding.
I'm not sure where to start in diagnosing this; any suggestions would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
I've been noticing this on my pc the last few days. I've been wondering if it isn't one of their recent updates.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
As an update:
I have been working on this project in a teamwork setup;
I saved the file as a local teamwork draft while the server was undergoing some maintenance and....no crashes/freezes/hangs since. Suggests to me it's either a glitch in the teamwork functionality, or a problem with the network (i.e. access to the main file on the server).
Does Archicad check back with the teamwork file periodically (other than when sending or recieving changes)? Could traffic to/from the server cause delay which results in the program 'hanging'?