BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Alt-click existing object

Barry Kelly
Alt-clicking (Syringe tool) an existing object in the models selects that object ready for a new instance.
This is fine.

But I just had pointed out to me that in version 12 alt-clicking on any node (hotspot) of the object will result in the original placement hotspot of that object being active for the new instance and not the node that you Alt-click on.

In previous versions you would be able to place the new instance by the node (hotspot) you Alt-click on.

For example place a chair with the centre hotspot.
Now Alt-click a corner node of the placed chair.
In version 11 and previous you will now be able to place a new chair by the corner node.
In version 12 you can only place the chair by the centre node unless you open the object settings to change it.

Is this a bug or a feature?
I would say bug!
I like the old way.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
14 REPLIES 14
Eduardo Rolon
If true I say bug.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Rod Jurich
Contributor
Barry wrote:
/...
I would say bug!
I like the old way.
Barry, check your version, latest is 2523
IMO a .............
zAC_bug.png
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
In previous versions you would be able to place the new instance by the node (hotspot) you Alt-click on.
Ooh, nice tip! I didn't know this! I can't even see this in the manual!

I have noticed a small inconsistency in AC11 though. If you don't click on a node (i.e. anywhere else within the boundary of the object) it seems to move the highlighted hotspot back to the default position, regardless to where it was before, which is a pain. I would prefer if the hotspot stayed in the position is was in the original object when not selecting a node. It's not particularly helpful when it returns to the default position.

You are right though, it sort-of works in AC11 but not in the most up-to-date 12.

Neither version works the way they probably should!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would say its a feature. If I want to replicate an object's properties I want to do so for all of them, including insertion point, no matter where I click on the original object. I never did get that.
Barry Kelly
s2art wrote:
I would say its a feature. If I want to replicate an object's properties I want to do so for all of them, including insertion point, no matter where I click on the original object. I never did get that.
But if you have placed several objects in a plan all with different insertion points, how do you know which one to Alt-click?
Far easier just being able to click the node you want on any object.

This has been reported to GS AUS and they are passing it on to HQ.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
"Rod Jurich" wrote:
Barry, check your version, latest is 2523

Yep latest version - profile is now updated.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Peter wrote:
I have noticed a small inconsistency in AC11 though. If you don't click on a node (i.e. anywhere else within the boundary of the object) it seems to move the highlighted hotspot back to the default position, regardless to where it was before, which is a pain. I would prefer if the hotspot stayed in the position is was in the original object when not selecting a node. It's not particularly helpful when it returns to the default position.
I can live with this and is the way it should work in my opinion.
Click on the exact node you want and that becomes the insertion point.
Click on any part of the background (only works if the object has a background fill) and the default hotspot becomes the insertion node.
I set most of our objects up so that the default hotspot is the one you would expect to use the most for insertion.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Brett Brown
Advocate
This needs to be fixed or changed back to how it is in 11. Without this, using the latest "Visual Legend Favorites" would be a waste of time, and null and void the speed increase using this system which relies on alt click
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
s2art wrote:
But if you have placed several objects in a plan all with different insertion points, how do you know which one to Alt-click?

Barry.
To be honest 99% of the time I click within an object rather than searching around for a node point. I just find it quicker and easier, and its not normally an issue.
Learn and get certified!