Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stretching a wall a specific length

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I go about stretching a wall so the wall is an additional length? When I enter the number it relates to overall length of the wall not the additional distance.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Firstly, make sure you have the tracker turned on. Start to stretch the end of the wall as normal, but don't actually move the cursor from the end point. Type the distance you want to move from that point. The trick you are missing is to type a '+' after the figure to increase the length, or a '-' (minus) to reduce the length. Hit return to confirm.

This also works the same if you position the cursor on any other point after stretching a wall and type a distance, then a plus/minus, which will place the end of the wall that distance from that point.

Hope that's clear enough!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! Thats what I wanted to know, but I can't get the "-" to work the way you describe above. I am doing it the same way I "+" works just replacing it with a "-" to subtract from the length of the wall but it still gives me the overall length of the wall not the length subtracted from the wall. Am I doing something wrong?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I doing something wrong?
It should work as I describe, so maybe?!

Have you got guide lines turned on? These are useful to display as they will appear at the point the wall will stretch to, straight after pressing the plus/minus, so you don't actually have to press return to see the result.

So to make a wall 0.5m shorter for example, start to stretch the wall but keep the cursor at the end point, then type 0.5- in the tracker. (Or the equivalent in feet/inches). You will see guide lines appear at the destination. Hit return to confirm.

What are you typing?

Someone did an nice animated gif in an older thread that describes the process. I'll have a look for it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here you go. It was posted by Valery W. I think you have to open up the attachment to see the animations.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=23262

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help but it doesn't seem to be working. Here are the steps I am doing:

Select placed wall
Select wall reference line node
Select stretch command in pet palette
Place curser over original reference line node location
Type desired length subtraction into pet palette with "-" symbol on end (5-)
Hit "enter"

I can do the same thing with + and it works as it should (showing reference lines after + is entered). Do I have to type "x" or "y"?

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, weird!

Do you get the same result if you stretch a horizontal wall as opposed to a vertical wall?

Check you have 'Relative co-ordinates in tracker' selected in the tracker settings also.

I'm a bit stumped; mine works without fail! I don't have to press x or y either. I can't find any setting that would change this so it works when adding a length, but not subtracting.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Anyone else out there in ArchiCADland who has any ideas?
Karl Ottenstein
The single - works for metric people. We imperial people have to enter "--" (two minus signs) since "-" is also the feet-inch separator.

There are various other ways of doing this also that are easier ... someone will post I'm sure. Have to run...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah-ha, thanks Karl!

There were some other techniques on the thread I mentioned earlier, so perhaps try them also. I'm not aware of any 'easier' ones though, would somebody care to explain further as it would be interesting to find out!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice - thanks guys!