BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

New to ArchiCAD; What the hell is GDL?

dcerezo
Advocate
Hey guys,

I have been trying to make the switch from Revit to ArchiCAD for several reasons that I won't go into here.

I am trying to recreate a project I completed in Revit, in ArchiCAD.

In the project I have some 4 panel folding doors by NanaWall. Boy was I floored when I dug into how I would recreate these doors in ArchiCAD.

GDL? Dude. Really. What the f*$% is that! I mean, really, c'mon, you have to learn to program to create a window or door that currently doesn't exist in the library.

This fact alone has me really reconsidering whether I should stick with Revit.

Is Graphisoft looking at abandoning this? Is importing Sketchup models a workaround? Are those imported Sketchup models parametric once inside ArchiDAD?
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
26 REPLIES 26
Karl Ottenstein
I let someone else answer your cheerful post.

But, there is a sliding/folding door in the GDL repository here on the forums. I have not looked at it to see if you can modify the frame to look like a nanawall, or if the 2D symbol will work...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?

see attached screenshot

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
dcerezo
Advocate
Thanks for answering Karl and for providing a link to that door.

My point still stands though: what if no one has created the specific object I need? Why should I have to hope that others have created the objects I need OR learn GDL?
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you'll find that whatever system you use, there will be a certain amount to learn. I guess that even in Revit, creating a door must require some skill, and there will be differences in two doors created by people with different levels of expertise.

In the same way, many (perhaps most) people use ArchiCAD without ever using GDL. There are many generic and product-specific libraries available for ArchiCAD, so chances are you will be able to find something ready-made to fill your needs. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can make something for you.

On the other hand, if you do take the time to learn GDL, this will give you a greater degree of independence.
Anonymous
Not applicable
what if no one has created the specific object I need? Why should I have to hope that others have created the objects I need OR learn GDL?
Until Graphisoft provide a simplified graphical way of creating complex parametric library parts you either have to learn GDL, or get someone to make it for you. There are a number of people out there that will code any object you like for a price, if it isn't already available.

If you struggle to make a parametric library part, it is often quicker to create a dumb, one-time-use object made from simple elements such as walls and slabs. There are multiple threads describing the process. Here's one with a few links in - Linky

To help you learn GDL, find someone who knows what they are doing to give you a one-on-one lesson so you at least understand some of the basics. Trying to learn from complex books can be a daunting task for a new user.

If you want to use ArchiCAD generally, it is useful to know a little GDL anyway to help you along. It is common to want to slightly adjust the existing parts, so any knowledge gained is not wasted!

Good luck!
Here's a link that you should find helpful: http://www.archicad.ca/Downloads/DNC-Cookbook-4/Intro-to-Object-Making.pdf
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Thomas Holm
Booster
Peter wrote:
...Until Graphisoft provide a simplified graphical way of creating complex parametric library parts you either have to learn GDL, or get someone to make it for you. ...
Beg to differ on this. I may be a moron, even though I'm an architect. But I've used Archicad for more than 15 years now, sometimes for relatively complex tasks, and I've never learnt GDL. Whatever people complain of, the majority of the delivered library parts are of high quality. And there are amazingly advanced objects available on the net, in the depository etc, for free.
Also, I've got Objective. And when all else fails, I've been able to make my own objects using Archicad's built-in tools. No parameters, no GDL.

I agree that if you want high-level flexibility, you should learn GDL and make your objects parametric. But you are in no way forced to do so! You can enjoy the advanced workflow enhancements of Archicad completely without GDL, if you just take advantage of the presets delivered by your reseller, do the tutorials, and read the Help file and manual when necessary.

You might have to apply some lateral thinking now and then, though.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
dcerezo
Advocate
Well ok. Sounds like although gdl is "there," I probably will not need to use it. It also sounds like I should be able to find anything I will need.

Time will tell.
Erika Epstein
Booster
How you get from A to B in revit may not be the same, so tell us what you are trying to accomplish and then we can address that problem(s).
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
dcerezo
Advocate
Erika,

At the time, I wasn't trying to specifically do anything. I have been trying to learn ArchiCAD in my spare time as I want to switch. At some point, I asked myself, "how do I create my own custom doors, or windows, or furniture" like I do in Revit all the time?

That's when I found out about GDL. In revit, you basically draw your object using masses and boolean operations, and you add parameters to the object to control height, width, angles, visibility in 2d vs 3d, etc. It's great.

My initial reaction was that GDL was nuts compared to how Revit does it.

But apparently, everything I need is out there somewhere so I may never have to use GDL.

I'm skeptical about that, that's why I said, time will tell.
Learn and get certified!