Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Merge Options

Gerald D Lock
Advocate
I would like:
File>File Special>Merge to contain an option to either
1. "import all" (currently the only 'option')

OR

2. open a project navigator panel to allow import/merge of specific layouts, masters, views or project map items

What a wonderful world that would be. At present, the Merge creates a duplicate of all items, even if they are the same (ie. if both files are from a standard template)
Major pain-in-the-ass to delete the duplicates, as there's no way of seeing in the tree which is imported and which is original...
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
7 REPLIES 7
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Gerald wrote:
2. open a project navigator panel to allow import/merge of specific layouts, masters, views or project map items
Gerald:

Specific layouts and masters can be imported, and Views can be imported to layouts, via the Organizer.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Thanks David

I'll have a deeper look at the organiser...
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

Melbourne, Australia
Geof Gainer
Booster
David wrote:
Specific layouts and masters can be imported, and Views can be imported to layouts, via the Organizer.
Views from the receiving file only, you mean? The views that are brought in with the imported layouts can only link back to the merged file.

I believe this is still the case, unless GS has addressed all the problems Matthew pointed out here (6th down in the tread) http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=10796
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Geof:

What I mean is that a View from an external file can be placed on a Layout of the original file.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Layouts & masters import fine, but views are only ever able to be imported into the Layout book (thus making an externally-linked drawing of the original view), not the saved views tree.
...and project map items can't be imported at all.
Of course there are only a few instances where you'd want Proj Map items anyway, so no big loss, but saved views would be great to import if the files are common derivatives of a single earlier project file (see attachment)

Of course this is only useful if the files share a common lineage / basis, but that's my point exactly: I sometimes have such a situation where a design option progresses, then an earlier iteration is preferred (or part of it) at which point saved views, or project map items (such as worksheets etc.) would be handy to have from the other 'more progressed' option.

This ability would require that the attributes of saved views be transferrable (scale, layer comb., model view options, window type, etc..)

Too much to ask?
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

Melbourne, Australia
Geof Gainer
Booster
Gerald wrote:
Of course this is only useful if the files share a common lineage / basis, but that's my point exactly: I sometimes have such a situation where a design option progresses, then an earlier iteration is preferred (or part of it) at which point saved views, or project map items (such as worksheets etc.) would be handy to have from the other 'more progressed' option.
Exactly my situation. The alternative is creating all the options on different layers in the same file, which with all the sub-options can get unwieldy very fast.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Gerald wrote:
Of course there are only a few instances where you'd want Proj Map items anyway, so no big loss...
Not so fast. I would use this all the time for details and other 2D stuff like typical notes, legends, etc.
Too much to ask?
Not at all. Better merging means easier reuse of company assets. Essential.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x