Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cover fills

KeesW
Advocate
I have a question so simple that I am almost embarrassed to ask it because I'm such a long time Archicad user. I have created an elevation view and am trying to cover parts of it with solid colour cover fills (to clarify shape of walls). I've tried all available combinations but am unable to get the fill to cover the linework of the elvations. Is there a tricky setting, buried somewhere, that stops the cover fill from doing what plain language suggests that it should do? The fills do create properly outside the elevation.

I've had similar problems with colouring floor plans - i.e. forgetting the setting combination that allows a cover fill to happen.

Silly, isn't it!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Document>Set Model Views>MVO

Is "override cover fills", checked?
Or maybe it's really a "drafting fill"
and you need to uncheck override there?
Or the fills properties is set not how you think
in: Options>Element Att>Fill types?
Or could it be: View>OSVO>Vectorial Hatching is off?
How about Internal vs OGL setting?(probably not since not 3dview)
That's all the guesses I have.
Thomas Holm
Booster
KeesW wrote:
I have created an elevation view and am trying to cover parts of it with solid colour cover fills
- Not silly.

- Check that display of fills is enabled in Model View Options for the view.

- Create a fill (if necessary at a side location) that is solid, or doesn't have a transparent background color pen.

- Select it.

- Edit > Display Order > Bring Forward (or Bring To Front).

- Drag it to where you want it to cover the linework.

- Save the view. (both MVO and DO will be saved, along with layer combos etc).
KeesW wrote:
I've had similar problems with colouring floor plans - i.e. forgetting the setting combination that allows a cover fill to happen.
If you want for example the integrated cover fill of a slab to show, you both need to turn the element's cover fill on, and turn on the Model View Option to show cover fills in that view.

If you want 'loose' fills, do like for the elevation as above.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks for your replies - especially Thomas. I had forgotten to change the display order to bring the fill to the front. The manual doesn't say it but I should have remembered.

Maybe the default should automatically move the fill to the front? I can't imagine anyone drawing a fill and not wanting to see it - at least in the first instance. Oh well, who can understand the Hungarian mind!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Thomas Holm
Booster
KeesW wrote:
Thanks for your replies - especially Thomas...Maybe the default should automatically move the fill to the front?
You're welcome - but I don't agree with that. The default (that fills are drawn behind linework) is better in all other circumstances, I think. You'd want this only when there's something to cover up
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1