Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Access to GDL objects from a different patform

NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,
I was trying to work around the problem of not being able to schedule Labels.
for this I have created single label objects for every text I need. Now I am able to modify all the instances of a single spec by modifying the Objects.

I need to access all those object's GDL scripts from a single platform, so I can Manage the Specs easy. Does any one knows how can I do that?

Best Regards

Nando.
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
if each one of those note objects, pulled its note from a database, then you could edit them all from a single place. eg open the database up in excel.

This is basically how Cadimage's Keynotes system works
NandoMogollon
Advocate
sdb wrote:
if each one of those note objects, pulled its note from a database,
Thanks for the reply, But how do I "Pull" a parameter from a Database in the GDL object?
I imagine the GDL script should "call" the parameter"X" from the "Y" line of the database File [name of the file, and path].

Which type of file (filemaker? excel? Access?)
How to script the GDL?

I really would appreciate any help.

Regards

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
for the database file you can either use a .txt or .xml so you can use it with any software that opens those types of files.

Scripting it can get a bit full on tho, depends how much GDL you know? Have a look in the GDL reference guide under Add-ons & it shows the available calls etc. I'll have a look & might have an example script.
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Thanks for the reply again...
I don't know to much about GDl, just a couple of things and 2D basically. I've being avoiding learning GDL, but it seems like I will have to spend some time getting into it. I've heard the guys from CADIMAGE have a good book.

Anyway, I've printed the Add-on portion of the GDL reference guide, and I'll see if can get anything out of it.

Thanks for your help, and if you have a script that I can use as example it would be great.

Regards

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are built in database commands that you can utilise in GDL whereby you can reference a database you set up or create your own entry in the gdl code

check out the gdl reference guide pg 181

use of descriptor & component commands can give you the required result.

i have done something similar to what you are talking about using these commands - the application was not for making key notes
but custom descriptions of objects based on their parameters

cheers,
Mark