Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

User Origin (0,0) shifts on its own without redefining

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I work on a TeamWork model in AC11, I have noticed that my user origin (0,0) seems to be shifting about on its own.

I understand that we can re-define the "0,0" by placing the "X" at where we want the "0,0" to be.

What if the origin gets shifted even though the command is not executed? It has been happening to my models and I cannot explain why.

This is quite a dangerous occurrence. In many cases the origin was redefined, and I exported drawings to consultants. I get harsh complaints that the drawing "moved" from its correct location.

Has this happened to anyone, and know what causes it, and how to stop it from re-occurring? I am using AC11 and the model is a TeamWork project.

Thank you in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
There is a keyboard shortcut to move the origin - press SHIFT + ALT and move cursor over a node to reset the user origin there.
Not sure if is the same shortcut on a Mac.

Maybe you are pressing that key combination while carrying out your work?

But doing this you are only changing the user origin.
The global origin is always in the same location and can not be changed as far as I know.
I would have thought that exported drawings would use the global origin and not the user origin.
That is definitely a dangerous problem if it does use the user origin.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry

That is quite useful information...perhaps somebody accessing the TeamWork project has been unknowingly using the SHIFT+ALT+Click without realizing it.

And yes, when exporting to DWG, it uses the User Origin and not the Global Origin, unless somebody can correct me. It has been causing us a lot of grievance as there were many instances where I sent drawings where the coordinates are all screwed up!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
There is a keyboard shortcut to move the origin - press SHIFT + ALT and move cursor over a node to reset the user origin there.
Not sure if is the same shortcut on a Mac.
On the Mac: option+shift click. As option+shift key is used for keyboard shortcuts, this could be the cause.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14