Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL converting to GSM causing prob

Anonymous
Not applicable
We recently loaded the Archicad 12 version on our machines with current updates
PC(s), mine is a quad-processor
BUT-with the Quicktime program, all of our GDL objects have 'automatically' converted to GSM files, and I cannot get my titles to load-either manually or otherwise. I have tried the object view loading of new titles, and it will not happen...this is when I'm working in old Version 11 (Build 1259) files as well.

I have tried to fake and change the component that opens these GDL files (a properties 'change' in a browser), but although it will accept the object as an Archicad Component (in properties aspect while in browser), the type of file remains as a GSM, and un-obtainable in Archicad.

I was able to get one project to read/accept a title block as a GDL on loading of new title block, but the drawing text is missing...I get the nice round bubble, and the line for the title, but all text is missing. When I open the object to 'work on', the text is present and there. Save and get back to layout, text is not available. All layers are turned on, all masterview options are on. I'm stymied.

Thanks-
Kathleen
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kathleen,

ArchiCAD library parts generally all have the file extension GSM. GDL is just the name of the code that you use in them. They haven't changed, so don't panic!.

If you want to reassociate the GSM extension with ArchiCAD (so you can doubleclick to open), you can either edit the quicktime preferences and uncheck GSM audio from the file types tab, or in Windows right click on any library part file and select 'Opens with' > 'Choose Program' then select 'ArchiCAD' from the list. Select the 'Aways use selected program to open' checkbox to make this permanent.

If ArchiCAD is having trouble finding the library parts, it is more likely they are not in a loaded library. Use the library manager in ArchiCAD to load the folder they are in, and everything should be fine.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter-
thanks for the reply...the trouble is, I did try to load and 'browse' for a new library and library part. I loaded the library from manager which that library part is in, and I also did a 'load title' at the layout location. I have checked and checked, deleted and copied that library part into that library numerous times, but it is not accepting it.

I tried the 'choose program' option with the "always use selected program to open', and to no avail. I cannot get it to 'stick', either.

I am running Vista operating system...could that be an issue?

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!