BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

archicad sloooowwwww to open a model

Anonymous
Not applicable
why is archicad 9 so slow to open small model files on my pc, its windows XP 64bit, 4GB of ram, dual core AMD CPU, geforce 9600GT 512mb graphics card, and my hard drive is the fast speed one (i forget the exact spec)

otherwise my PC runs like lightning, but i find it so frustrating if i just need to quickly open an archicad drawing when on the phone to a customer or whatever!

and the model files are all on my hard drive (i.e. not networked)

there is 2 or 3 libraries in it, but that shouldnt make much of a difference should it?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Percy,

Have a look at the number of library parts loading, as well as their overall size, because both have an effect on the loading time.

A better solution may be to try saving the project as an archive file (.pla) which stores only the library parts used in the project along with the model. This should load quite a bit faster.

Usually you should save an archive at the end of every job (and also at the point of every issue) as a record of exactly what went out. This will also prevent those library parts from being accidently edited in the future which may fail to work correctly in the old files.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It depends on a lot of factors really:
- First, how slow are you talking about? Does it take a minute to open or 5 minutes?
- Is it happening on all plans or just some particular ones?
- You mention that it is loading '2 or 3' libraries. Do you mean 2 or 3 library parts, PLAs, entire archicad libraries etc...
- Are you loading the libraries from a local drive or over a network?
- Is ArchiCAD 9 slow to open in general(ie if you choose to make a new file, is that slow as well)?
- Once the file is open in AC9, does it perform as you would expect after that?
- Do other ArchiCAD versions you have installed perform comparably?
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Learn and get certified!