Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Edidting Dimensions/ simple linework!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm new to ArchiCAD. Quick Background, I'm a civil enigineer, I've been using AutoCAD civil 3D and regular AutoCAD for 4 years and I have hands on building experience.

Some of my initial thoughts on ArchiCAD after having used it for about a month now.

- Is it just me or is editing dimensions nearly impossible without deleting and redrawing??? why is there no gripable/ editable "hotspots" on the anchor points (i.e. where the dimension leader lines meet the element to be dimensioned)? why can't I just click on a dimension and "stretch" it easily? why can't I drag the text and the dimension line gap update automatically?

In my opinion dimensioning and editing of dimensions in AutoCAD is so much better than ArchiCAD and there are so many more ways to manipulate dimensions. Am I missing something?

Is there a way to develop a skin with multiple properties that alternate in section. such as timber framing/ insulation/ timber/ insulation. I am working with eco-designer right now and I want to be able to create composite structures that mimic the real world. as far as I can tell I can only stack fills on top of each other and not in parallel.

Is there an easier way to offset and mirror line work for guide lines than clicking on the line/ right click/ drag a copy/ x (for plane) / # (plus or minus for direction) to me this is too many steps to draft simple line work.

8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
All of these things are extremely easy in ArchiCAD and are explained pretty well in the manual. Certainly, dimension editing is explained well. Very easy to add new nodes, delete old ones, adjust leaders, move text, etc.

Composites provide the parallel skins that you want.

ArchiCAD is NOT a program that can be learned by experimentation, but only through either thorough reading of the manual and training materials or hands-on time with an experienced user/trainer. What you are asking is all in the docs, but unfortunately as you progress, a lot of working methods are not documented - so searching these forums or finding a trainer will be the best options there.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
cesarzlu wrote:
Is it just me or is editing dimensions nearly impossible without deleting and redrawing??? why is there no gripable/ editable "hotspots" on the anchor points (i.e. where the dimension leader lines meet the element to be dimensioned)? why can't I just click on a dimension and "stretch" it easily? why can't I drag the text and the dimension line gap update automatically?
Dimensioning in ArchiCAD is refreshingly simple compared to AutoCAD so don't expect them to behave the same way! Once you figure out how they work, you will wonder why autodesk made them so complicated!!

Dimensions are associative to the element's node you selected when first placing the dim. If the element changes in size, the dim will automatically adjust too. Practice techniques like adding extra dimension points using Ctrl-click, and removing them by selecting the dimension point and hitting delete, and watch the dim line readjust without you having to do anything. Use favorites to store different dimension styles and sizes.

Read the help files, and try to get someone to demonstrate in person to fully understand all the details. At a minimum press F1 and look under Annotation> Dimensioning.
Is there a way to develop a skin with multiple properties that alternate in section. such as timber framing/ insulation/ timber/ insulation. I am working with eco-designer right now and I want to be able to create composite structures that mimic the real world. as far as I can tell I can only stack fills on top of each other and not in parallel.
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are referring to multiple parallel uniform skins in a wall, composites will do what you want. If you wanted automatic placement of studs and insulation in plan within the composite wall, you will have to place those manually using either 2d or 3d objects. I don't know how Ecodesigner deals with walls like this, but I would have thought it would work on an average figure for a 'layer' of studs and insulation within a wall. It is meant to be used early on in the design process where you wouldn't know the position of every bit of timber yet, so I doubt too much detail is needed.
Is there an easier way to offset and mirror line work for guide lines than clicking on the line/ right click/ drag a copy/ x (for plane) / # (plus or minus for direction) to me this is too many steps to draft simple line work.
Yes, it sounds like you haven't turned on the tracker and guidelines. These are essential. Also get used to using keyboard shortcuts, which are so much faster.

With the tracker and guidelines on, to drag a copy of an element, select the element, press Ctrl+D at the same time (shortcut to drag) then hit Ctrl again (to copy), select a base point, move the cursor in the direction you want using the guide lines to restrain the cursor to, then type the distance and hit return to confirm. Other than the shortcut it's very similar to AutoCAD to be honest.

Offset works a little differently in ArchiCAD. There is a whole thread arguing which program does it best. It's here if you want a read. The advice I would give is to map the offset function to a single shortcut key. I will let you discover the rest!
gpowless
Advocate
Why is it that so many people would try to devolve Archicad to include Autocad's dinosaur-like tools. I can not only produce 3d drawings and renderings at incredible speeds but can label and detail contract documents (using 2d tools) faster than any experienced Autocad operators.

Seems to me that people have to look to the future for our architectural edge instead of scavenging the past for bits and pieces of the failures.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a trap you should be aware of.

Archicad doesn't insert dimpoints, so if you delete the object you've dimensioned to, the dimension will also vanish. Since Archicad doesn't let you choose the snap points, there's no way of knowing whether you've set your dimension to, say, the end of a wall, or the junction of a temporary setting-out line. Consequently, if you've dimensioned to a temporary line, then the dimension will vanish when you delete the temporary line.

So, if you want to place a dimension where there are no obvious hotspots, for example across a corridor which doesn't run parallel to the grid, you have to first draw a line across the corridor, place a hotspot at each end of the line, delete the line, and then dimension to the hotspots.

Unless somebody knows a better way?

Keith
Archicad Ver 12 on MAC OSX 10.4.8
Eduardo Rolon
Keith,

AC will highlight the element to be dimensioned.

AC 12 Reference Guide - page 394

Though I use the "hotspot/temp dim" work around when deleting something that is already dimensioned. Usually after hitting undo because the Dim Chain disappeared.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erika Epstein
Booster
With the dimension tool active when you get the mercedes cursor on your click to get a dimension node. You will get one on each side of the wall. Do the other wall same way. You can delete extraneous dimension nodes later. These will be 'live' dimension nodes.
Check that the dimension tool is set 'any direction' (graphic looks like at an angle v. orthogonal to the screen)

Click to place your dimension string. In 12 you can move your cursor around the circle with the tick marks until you get the direction, perpendicular to you walls, that you want.

If you already have a dimension string but it isn't perpendicular you can select the string and rotate it until it is.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
Keith wrote:
Since Archicad doesn't let you choose the snap points, there's no way of knowing whether you've set your dimension to, say, the end of a wall, or the junction of a temporary setting-out line. Consequently, if you've dimensioned to a temporary line, then the dimension will vanish when you delete the temporary line.
As Eduardo mentioned the element you are dimensioning will highlight.
You can use the TAB button to cycle through all available elements.
Keith wrote:
So, if you want to place a dimension where there are no obvious hotspots, for example across a corridor which doesn't run parallel to the grid, you have to first draw a line across the corridor, place a hotspot at each end of the line, delete the line, and then dimension to the hotspots.

Unless somebody knows a better way?
You can use the guide lines to find the point you want to dimension.
However this may not end up being an associated point so moving the element will not adjust the dimension.

The best way is probably as Erika described.
As clickin on the side of the wall sets the dimension perpendicular to that wall

Or you can dimension actual nodes of the elements even if they are not in the direction you want the dimension and then use the align dimension tool in the pet palette to adjust the angle of the dimension parallel to another element.
This can be a temporary line that can be deleted but unfortunately can not be a guide line (nothing like consistency!).

You can also use the rotate tool in the pet palette to set any angle you wish.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Djordje
Ace
cesarzlu wrote:
- Is it just me or is editing dimensions nearly impossible without deleting and redrawing??? why is there no gripable/ editable "hotspots" on the anchor points (i.e. where the dimension leader lines meet the element to be dimensioned)? why can't I just click on a dimension and "stretch" it easily? why can't I drag the text and the dimension line gap update automatically?
There are no hotspots because dimensions are associative and linked to the element that you dimension. Edit the element and the dimension will update. So, in order to stretch the dimension, stretch the element. If you dimensioned more than you want, select the dimension markers of the extra dimensions and delete them.

Ask someone who knows how to use ArchiCAD to show you. Much easier than to be frustrated.

Repeat: "I am not drafting. I am not drafting ..."
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen