Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

gdl learning

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all Is the gdl important to learn ??
I like to learn it but it like not easy to learn
I dont know any thing about it
from any were I will star please help me .... tnank
13 REPLIES 13
Djordje
Ace
nourqueen85 wrote:
hi all Is the gdl important to learn ??
I like to learn it but it like not easy to learn
I dont know any thing about it
from any were I will star please help me .... tnank
The best source is the GDL CookBook. You can find it online. http://www.archicad.ca/?p=84

Do you have any programming experience? GDL is considered as an advanced technique, and there are many things to try before you go into it. Ignacio outlined the process quite well here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=151796#151796
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is also very important to know how to program in Basic or Visual Basic because GDL uses a lot of it. One way to learn, which is the way I learned, is open up an existing Archicad GDL object, save it as a separate object with a different name, and look through segments of code to see what they do. Start with the 2D Script and Parameters first, then go to the 3D Script.

Another "easier" way to learn GDL code is to make a very simple object, like a rectangle, and save it as a GDL object, then open up the object and view the code.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is also Andrew Watson's book:
GDL Handbook, here:
http://www.cadimagetools.com/gdlbook.aspx
or here;
http://www.cadgarage.com/newgdlhandbook.html
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
the 'free' GDL cookbook is a great starting point. However GDL book from Cadimage is a fantastic product, with a huge amount of work gone into it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The best way is to start opening other objects, but remember to start simple. Don't start with windows and doors, but 2D Objects and then move on.
The GDL reference guide always give the first start when investigating a command, but I always keep www.selfgdl.com at hand. The cad-image book is for advanced users only.

Remember there are other ways to create objects. For instance Save Selection As ,which you can use as starting point for modifying a little GDL.
Also when you use floating windows, you can put elements from the floorplan straight into the 2D or 3D script. Just have the floorplan and the object (2D or 3D script) open next to each other and drag the elements into the script. It does require some pratice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Master Script

Your listed link: www.selfgdl.com is an incredible resource if you speak German AND English.

Lots of effort and knowledge has gone into it with a true love of gdl.
However only speaking English I found it frustrating. I would be reading along in English and then it would switch to I believe German.
Then I'd have to copy paste a piece at a time in translator, then try and find my way back to where I was, I would just plain get lost.
My hope is that an full English version would be forth coming?

Just for the record, I'm a complete newbie to gdl and I was able to follow along Andrews GDL Handbook, for the most part, and had I not been distracted by needing to go back to work 4 months ago, (soon after it came out), I would have made some notable progression with it.

Plus Andrew has been very gracious with helping with questions regarding his work in the book along with other gdl questions posted here.
So I respectfully disagree with your statement "The cad-image book is for advanced users only."
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have learned GDL the traditional way: opening and editing existing objects. The Cadimage book came out when I already had a lot of experience with GDL. The GDL Handbook helped me with my complex questions and answered them! So I must admit I have not read it front to back, but used it for finetuning my objects.
But without a doubt the GDL handbook is a must for true GDL programmers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think GDL is where you can become an ArchiCAD master. you can become a 'super User' to a certain extent but once you start making customised tools & objects then your workflow & quality of design & documentation increases exponentially.
ask yourself all the questions at the start of the GDL cookbook. why, how when etc do you want to learn.
it is a little bit head spinning at first, & you have to be fully committed to learning otherwise y'oll give up after 12 seconds.
The cookbook is a great start point. & Andrew Watsons (CadImage) handbook if for people with a little prior knowledge, & is newer therefore shows better examples and more inciteful techniques. as far as i know the Author of the cookbook hasnt commercially released anything as awesome as the CadImage tools & libraries.
both are fantastic & essential for GDL programmers. with examlpes & reusable scripts.
between the 3 books (GDL Cookbook, GDL Handbook & GDL reference guide) you can create some pretty neat things.
but you have to have the patience & attitude first!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you ever get your hands on Graphisoft's "GDL Textbook" by Gábor Jánosa just steal it!

It was published 1996 for ArchiCAD 5 and still is very comprehensive and valid.