BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

How to save as IFC file in ArchiCAD 8?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am a new user of ArchiCAD. After finishing a simple architectural model I want to get IFC file of it. I find I can simply use "save as" to save it as *.ifc file in ArchiCAD 7.0 while for ArchiCAD 8.0 I cannot find *.ifc there. Could someone help me to figure it out how to get IFC file in ArchiCAD 8.0?

(P.S. I am using the Education Version)

Thanks a lot
9 REPLIES 9
__archiben
Booster
hi

you will have to download the latest IFC add-on from the GS website and place it in your 'import export' folder within the add-ons folder.

the web address is:
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/ifc/download/

but i've got a feeling i downloaded it from US tech-support ( http://tr.graphisoftus.com/ ) without having to fill the form in! oops.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for response. But I checked Add-Ons\Import-Export, IFC_151, IFC_2x and IFC_2x2 are there. And I can see them checked in Add-On Manager too. But I still cannot find them in Save as format ...

Any suggestions? Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I remember correctly you can only save as IFC format from the 3D window. I don't think it will work from the plan window.

Regards,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for help. While... when I open Save as dialogue box for 3D Window, I can only find more formats for models like *.3ds, *.obj and *wrl etc. I am thinking *.ifc might appear under some conditions but I still have not figured it out.

Any help? Thank you very much.
Brendan GSUK
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Denise,

It sounds like you may have installed the ifc add-ons for the wrong version of ArchiCAD. Check the loaded add-on using the add-on manager on the tools menu to see if the ifc add-ons are actually loaded.

The ifc add-ons are available for various versions of ArchiCAD (8.1 R1, 8.1 R2, 8.0 and 7.0) and you should ensure that you have downloaded the correct version.

The save-as ifc options are available from the 2D window, you do not need to open the 3D window to save in this format.

Hope this helps,
Brendan
stefan
Expert
When the IFC plugins are installed (and recognised in the Add-On Manager) then they will also appear as menu's under the Tools or the Extra menu.

And it works from the 2D Window.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a similar problem. I have put the converters for IFC's 1.51 2.0 2x 2x2 in my Add-On's folder, but only 2x and 2x2 show up as options in the Save As... dialogue from the 3D window.

Unfortunately, I need to use 2.0 but none of the 3 builds for my Mac Education 8.1 R1 will show up in the Save As... window.

Stefan, none of them appear in the 2D window. All of them show submenus in the 'Tools' menu, but as far as I can tell these options aren't important to me. I'm trying to export for use in Riuska.

Thanks,
Alec
Djordje
Ace
A reminder, umptillionth time:

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR ARCHICAD VERSION AND RELEASE AND OS WHEN POSTING A QUESTION!

In this thread, the original question is for ArchiCAD 8 Educational version, Stefan is answering with 8.1, and so on ...

Look at my signature for a guideline.

Thanks
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
stefan
Expert
Djordje wrote:
A reminder, umptillionth time:

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR ARCHICAD VERSION AND RELEASE AND OS WHEN POSTING A QUESTION!

In this thread, the original question is for ArchiCAD 8 Educational version, Stefan is answering with 8.1, and so on ...

Look at my signature for a guideline.

Thanks
Problem is that I don't want to keep running all these different versions next to eachother. I thought the procedures between the different versions are not that different, since the plugins are available for many different ArchiCAD versions, using the same build-number so based on the same sourcecode.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!