BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Abnormal File Size when using module

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've been drawing an existing building which is made of a module (apartement) that is repeated 14 times. The appartement is quite simple and there are no too detailed (nearly nothing), but the file size is HUGE : the PLC file is now 197 Mo ! And it increased to that size quite suddenly : the previous file was already 98 Mo on the 041005 and became 197 Mo on the 041012...

I've compared to a similar project where many more things had been drawn, and the file size is 13 Mo...

Is it related to the use of modules ?

Here is the structure of the file :
- mod. A : an appartement, external module
- mod. B : contains 1 mod. A and one mirrored mod. A
- storey 1 : contains 2 mod. B
- other storey refers to either storey 1 or to mod. B

Any thoughts ?
6 REPLIES 6
__archiben
Booster
Geoffroy wrote:
Any thoughts ?
unrelated to the modules:

do you have "save navigator preview data with file" turned on and lots of defined views?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoffroy

We are still on 8.1 (hey we only got that 3 months ago!) but one thing we have found is creating modules by publishing Views can create very large module files, I have not figured out the reason why but it seems to include data that is on hidden or locked layers such as the full storey of an apartment building which has been brought into the apartment file to give the apartment enlarged plan some context.

The solution we use is to go to the View, select all with arrow tool and save the selection as Module manually, overriding the old .mod file each time. Slower but drops the size of the .mod files from 20Mb to 400K

I hope this helps.

regards
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Geoffroy wrote:
Any thoughts ?
unrelated to the modules:

do you have "save navigator preview data with file" turned on and lots of defined views?

~/archiben
Hi Ben, thanks for the idea, but this option is not checked...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've checked the size of the modules : no more than 300 Ko each !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is what I discovered :
- File size with 2 hotlink to another storey : 197 Mo
- Breaking the hotlink for those 2 modules result in a drastic file size reduction : 54 Mo
- Breaking the hotlink to external 300 Ko module : same result : 54 Mo

I think there is a major bug in this feature...

As module management is AC is still underdeveloped, I wonder how it can be used effectively (we need in place module editing !!!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I too have noticed the same problem when using modules. I have a site plan that has the topograhy linked as a module. The "main" file (with the topo module) is 135 mb; without the topo module the file is 55 mb. The topo module itself is 28 mb.

I have not investigated this other than to realize that this feature is not as polished as in Autocad. It certainly defeats the purpose of the x-ref type system where file sizes are reasonable no mattre how many x-ref one adds.

Rip Weaver
Town Landscape Architect
The Town of Mt Laurel

500mHz G-4 Cube
Archicad 9
Learn and get certified!