BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

"invalid 3D object" AC9 window

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I try to insert a window I get the following error message, "Group operation error at line 220 of file W Fixed.gsm." When I click the continue button, it lets me set parameters for the window, but in the preview window above, I can only view the plan and rendering versions of the object - when I try to display the elevation and 3d versions the preview window just shows the message "Invalid 3d symbol. Open the library part for editing and check its 3D script for errors." If I go ahead and insert the window, I get error messages again as I'm inserting, but it seems to place ok. THen when I switch to 3D view I get the error messages again, but AC eventually shows me a 3D view that includes the window, but it won't show any mullions.

THis is a drawing that was started in 8.1, and now I'm running 9. I have only 9 library loaded. Although I get the same behavior if I start a fresh drawing, place a wall and try to stick a window in it.

Mac 10.3.5

Thank you for any help.
Karl
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
A follow up.

I opened the drawing again, this time changing the workspace settings to "default" rather than "previous". And now the windows behave normally.
Anonymous
Not applicable
a second update.

I messed around with the work environment profiles (assigned basic US 9) and now the problem has reappeared. And reopening file with all the defaults selected doesn't fix it this time.

If I create a new file though, the windows do work. But when I go back to the first one: errors still.

Any ideas???
Erika Epstein
Booster
I get a similar message for Wcasement 4: group operation error at lin 304 of file w casement4.gsm.

It looks fine in plan, but generating 3D in the 3D window or preview window and checking script 3D window it will not generate.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure there is a slicker way to go about it, but here is what fixed it for me.

First, I updated my template file to switch the libraries over to 9 and to save the template as a version 9 file (don't know if this step was important or not).

Then I opened the problem drawing and saved as a module file.
Then created a new clean drawing based on the new template but using factory default work environment. I made sure there were no problems with the windows in the new drawing - there were not.
THen I merged the module I'd made of the old drawing into the new empty drawing.

Of course, I lost all my view sets - and I had to copy and paste the drawing work I'd done in the section windows from the old drawing into the new drawing - and I had to use attribute editor to bring in my layer combinations.

After the doing all that I saw posts in this forum about the "forward merge" technique and an alternate to the forward merge. It sounds like those techniques might have been easier. I'll try them if I get the problem again.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl G.
I was testing these in a new AC90 test file and got the 3D error on that casement.

I also wasn't able to place a second corner window above another in the same wall. (another thread)

The AC90 test file is from a new and reset with only the AC9 library installed. Non other version of AC involved.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!