BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

OK....Why the slow orbiting in 3D window in AC9.?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Started playing around with our new AC9. Wanting to make sure everythings installed ok.
On one of our workstations, when you open up the Orchard example project, the 3D window has very very slow orbiting and panning and mouse wheel zooming. 2D window appears to be just fine in terms of zooming and regen.
The same example project in AC8.1 can have the Orhard 3D model spin around like a top .This workstation has a P42.8HT, Quadro FX1100 256mb, and 1.5GBpc3200.

On another workstation, one with a ATI Fire GL card , the 3D model orbits smooth and fast just like in AC8.1.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not clear from your post as to the specs of the problem workstation. Is it the one one w/256MB of VRAM?

In any case it sounds like an OpenGL problem. Either too little VRAM (256 is more than adequate), a compatibility problem, OpenGL is somehow turned off on the one machine, or that machine is rendering with the AC internal engine (kind of the same thing).
Karl Ottenstein
Antonin wrote:
Started playing around with our new AC9. Wanting to make sure everythings installed ok.
On one of our workstations, when you open up the Orchard example project, the 3D window has very very slow orbiting and panning and mouse wheel zooming.
I had something similar happen on one of my computers recently - only once. I would press the mouse down to begin moving the 3D viewpoint, and instead of the model moving instantly and fluidly, there was a one second delay (each time) before any motion began. Just restarting the computer took care of it, suggesting something needing to be reset in the graphics card or driver perhaps.

Does a reboot help your situation?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl:

Tried the reboot method.....still the same quality....or non quality.
Checked all my advanced settings with this card too.
You'd think with a higher end card such as the Quado FX, I should have outstanding 3D performance. It works fabulous in AC8.1.
I wonder if has somehting to do with AC9 and the OpenGL version it uses? If that matters?
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Antonin,

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone else or tech support...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Jefferson
Participant
Antonin,

This may seem kind of lame...............but have you compared all the settings in the 3D window settings boxes between 8.1 and 9? Is the behavior the same between orthogonal and perspective? Perhaps attempting some modifications, back and forth between current settings and or, say line, hidden line, ArchiCAD engine, etc.........

I'm not running 9, but does the ability to shift+scroll rotate the model in the edit mode any differently?
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wrinkly

Thanks for the advice......still slow poke 3D action...
I was thinking of swapping the card out with the new NVidia 6800GT to see how those perform anyway.
AC9 must not like QuadoFX cards?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I got the same problem in version 9.
I have got a 6800 ultra/ amd 64 3800 gig ram and in Open GL it is very sensitive. I have had a blue screen crash and at reboot it said that there is a problem with the Nvidia Driver. (got the latest one).
And ArchiCad keeps refreshing every 25-30 seconds and the screen goes blank for 0.5 second when it does it.......
I know I will never find the reason.
Jefferson
Participant
Antonin,

Sorry to hear about the card sensitivity. That is particularly disappointing considering that it's such a high end card. I've included a link to the Nvidia FTP site with almost all of their drivers. I'd be inclined to call [good luck] or email tech at Nvidia and ask fora suggestion on a different driver.

The second link is a tweak site mostly for laptops but they might be an even better resource for a driver solution, since it's their "thing"...........

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I think my verdict is that it was the Orchard example model that doesn't care for my NVidia based set up.
Ive opened various other older projects and also assembled some new models with AC9 with no 3D problems what so ever. Very fast modeling. Very fast 3D window.
Maybe I was worried about nothing.
Learn and get certified!