Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Disappearing dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason unknown to me my dimensions keep disappearing. As you can see on the attached part plan, on the left hand side dimensions are ok, on the right they have gone!. I have not deleted any walls, roofs, slabs or anthing else they are linked to. I have updated the 3D texture origin and that is all. And this is not the first time I have had to redo dimensions on this particular project. Has anyone else had this problem or know a solution? Will locking the layer the dims are on prevent this from happening again? I don't know how to replicate as I don't know when they vanished.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
For some reason unknown to me my dimensions keep disappearing... Has anyone else had this problem or know a solution?
Any help appreciated...
Stuart,
What add-ons, if any, are you using??? I've seen this behavior before as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Door and Window Builder R14 is about the only add-on we use. I think the dims may have disappeared when I altered the origin of the 3D textures, and thinking back to when this happened before in this project, that may have been the case then too. Just tried to replicate it but dimensions remained.
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
We also had have this before, but it was happening in V7.
It mostly seemed to occur when changing from one view to another.
ie going from the site plan with it's layer combination & scale back to the floor plan working drawing view with its layer combination and scale.

It did not happen in every PLN so it had us puzzled.
What we eventually figured out is it depends on what had been dimensioned.
We found that it only seemed to occur in PLN's where someone had dimensioned the plan with extraneous layers on, so instead of the dimension picking up the wall it might pick up a node of a slab or cupboard etc.
As the floor plan working drawing layer combination did not contain these layers when switching to the floor plan working drawing view the dimensions would dissappear.

Sometimes opening the layer box and reselecting the layer combination for the floor plan working drawing view would bring the dimensions back.
Otherwise doing an Alt rebuild would bring the dimensions back.

We ended up setting up a "dimension walls" view which left only the wall layers and dimension layer on. Since this we haven't experienced any problems with dissapearing dimensions.
Haven't had any problems in V8 (we dont have V9 yet).

Cheers
Stu.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your input Stu. However I am certain I only had relevant layers on while dimensioning. No extra slabs, roofs or anything. And turning all layers on they are still not there. The dimensions had been sitting there, absolutely fine, for days, now they just up and leave.

Cheers
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
We are currently having this problem with dimensioning within S/E views. The dimensions disappeared after adjusting the Vertical Range within the Marker dialog -- no objects/elements or layer settings were altered. We've resorted to making these dimension strings static. LJY.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
I've often either made them static or placed hotspots and dimensioned to them (a little more time consuming initially but allows for easier modifications later)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I finally discovered what is causing this very annoying problem!!!

When I "align the 3d textures" "set origin" in the 3d view than go back to the plan the dimensions disappear. It won't do it if the plan view is open in the background for some reason.

Should I be contacting graphisoft so they can fix this bug?