Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Do large libraries slow down ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've noticed that my copy of ArchiCAD crashes more frequently and takes longer to save than it had in the past.

Recently, I shared my library with my business partner. I've added a lot of objects that I've downloaded from the web. He said that my library is too larger and is probably slowing ArchiCAD down.

Can library size slow down the save on ArchiCAD? Should I reduce the size of my library? WOuld that tend to make ArchiCAD run more smoothly?

Thanks,
John
8 REPLIES 8
rm
Expert
John,

My experience is that LOADING larger or more libraries takes more time, or loading libraries from a server also takes more time, than say loading just the AC library.

The crashing you may be experiencing of late may be caused by a couple of problems:

1. Maybe your RAM is getting "thin" as you load "a lot" of libraries.
2. You mentioned you downloaded a lot of library parts of late, maybe some of them have bad scripts.....try going back to the AC library and slowly add new libraries to see a possible pattern.
3. How old is your machine. I have recently added a G5 2.7ghz + 2.5 gigs of ram, to my stable of computers.......holy cow! Some models I could barely rotate in 3d move very quickly now! OOPS, I see from you signature line, it appears you have a very fast Windows machine with plenty of ram......sorry about that.

Hope that helps
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't yet tried uninstalling some of my libraries but I did find something that helped me to reduce my file size drastically. I mentioned my large file size to Campbell at Cadimage and he suggested that the large size could be due to placed images (scans) and imported dwg lines both of which are in my current project.
I deleted the layers containing the placed images and my file size dropped from 152 mgs to 34 mgs. Now the file saves in about two seconds as opposed to over 5 seconds previously.
I deleted the layers with the imported dwg lines and my file was reduced to about 33 mgs. I think the big hog was the placed images which were scans which were used to trace the plan and elevations for the model.
Later I'm going to try to shrink my library to see if that makes a speed difference.
John
Karl Ottenstein
Hi John,

Libraries do not affect file size. With the exception of archives (PLA), library parts are always in completely independent files from your project.

If you save as PLA, you can save just the used parts (cannot get any better than that) ... or the whole library (which would make a huge PLA file for no good reason).

It's too bad that images can't be linked rather than embedded.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl -

Can you clarify how you choose to "save just the used parts"? (I'm getting very large .PLA files - and this may be why!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you tell me if using large libraries will slow down ArchiCAD? I have built up a large set of libraries that combine objects that I’ve made (a few), the default ArchiCAD libraries, the ArchiCAD bonus libraries and libraries of objects that I’ve downloaded. I have these combined libraries as my default library in ArchiCAD. Should I reduce the size of the library for faster ArchiCAD operation?
Thank you,
John
Karl Ottenstein
Keith wrote:
Can you clarify how you choose to "save just the used parts"? (I'm getting very large .PLA files - and this may be why!)
From the Save As dialog, after you select PLA, click the Options button before saving and you'll see something like the attached screenshot. Be sure that there is NOT a check in front of the second item (Include All Parts of Loaded Libraries).

If you are not generating lists from the Calculate menu list schemes, then you don't need property objects either. Clear the check from the last item as shown. (There aren't many of them and they're small anyway, though.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
johncassel wrote:
Can you tell me if using large libraries will slow down ArchiCAD? I have built up a large set of libraries that combine objects that I’ve made (a few), the default ArchiCAD libraries, the ArchiCAD bonus libraries and libraries of objects that I’ve downloaded. I have these combined libraries as my default library in ArchiCAD. Should I reduce the size of the library for faster ArchiCAD operation?
Hi John,

AFAIK, this will only affect the time it takes to load the libraries when you open the project in AC (or in background AC from PM). With adequate memory, it will not affect the running speed of AC, I don't think.

I would suggest loading only the libraries that you need though.

For example, I typically load Garden Works only if (rarely) I need something in that library.

Or, take textures. I have thousands of texture (image) files on my computer for making materials for renderings. I copy the ones (very few) that I need into the Project Library for the current project rather than loading my huge texture folder.

HTH,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was working on a project recently that was started by someone else in my office, with a huge amount of textures loaded (from Anniversary CD I think?) and every time I went to the materials editor to alter something it took 20 seconds to pop up, and another 20 seconds to select a different material. When I unloaded the texture library it took about 2 seconds.
Load what you need.