BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

calculating the volume of a building

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Is there any way to use the Zone tool to calculate the VOLUME of a building, including roofspace?
Or is there another tool that can do this in AC9

Paul
15 REPLIES 15
gpowless
Advocate
Although I haven't used it in a while, I believe that 3d zones will do the trick for you.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, that's what zones are for. You will need to SEO or trim the zone to the roof. Naturally, check your zone heights as you place them. And, view your zones in 3D to make sure they're right. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TomWaltz
Participant
Karl wrote:
Yes, that's what zones are for. You will need to SEO or trim the zone to the roof. Naturally, check your zone heights as you place them. And, view your zones in 3D to make sure they're right. 😉

Karl
I could be wrong about this, but I thought SEOs did not actually affect the volume, only the Trim to Roof did....
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies guys, but I can't seem to trim the 3Dzone to anything and I can't find anywhere that tells me what the Volume is just the area
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, found the trim to Zone tool

But still can't find the Volume
TomWaltz
Participant
PaulZ wrote:

Paul

you will find Zone Volume in the "Element Information" Palette (which you have to "show" from the Window menu)

You can also view the Zone in the 3D window if you click Image -> Elements to show in 3D and turn on Zones. With will "wireframe" everything else.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
PaulZ wrote:

Paul

you will find Zone Volume in the "Element Information" Palette (which you have to "show" from the Window menu)

You can also view the Zone in the 3D window if you click Image -> Elements to show in 3D and turn on Zones. With will "wireframe" everything else.
Thanks very much Tom, I'd never have found that one

Paul
Karl Ottenstein
Thank, Tom - hadn't tried SEO on a zone ... seems crazy that it doesn't work, but they've treated zones as something 'special' for some reason. Another inconsistency.

Paul,

Volume: besides element info for a quick readout as Tom mentions, you can of course use the Interactive Scheduler, schedule the zones(s) and display the Volume. This allows grouping your volumes by type and creating subtotals in case you are creating a schedule of the volumes where the conditions vary - such as office space vs warehouse space, where heating/cooling/humidity needs would differ.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have not been able to get the interactive schedular to read to zones. is there a toggle that I am missing. any help would be appreciated.
Learn and get certified!