BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Drawing precise wall lenght

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am lending a Mac with ArchiCAD 8 for a small personal project.
Could someone explain how I can draw walls with a precise lenght (ie: 10010 mm). If I use the mouse, the coordinate in the window are always approximate. Is there a way to enter the data?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I am not lending, I am borrowing a Mac...
That's why I don't know
Karl Ottenstein
Ideally, get a copy of the ArchiCAD 8 Training Guide - it's pretty cheap.

Definitely NEVER use the visual values in the coordinate box while moving your mouse to determine length. As you note, it is at best an approximation based on the current working settings. No matter what your precision is set at, you will never get an exact length by watching these values.

Instead, get used to the R (radius) entry box. Pressing the R key jumps the focus there so you can type the required value. A typical "move" is to start a wall, and then shift-drag to constrain the direction, press R, type the length, and then enter to complete.

x, y, and a move the data entry focus to those boxes as well. Note that you can have relative or absolute coordinates (the triangle buttons). Any value can be locked by entering ALT-letter. So, alt-a would lock (constrain) the angle value to a specific angle while you next worry about the length (via R), for example.

As friendly as the AC interface looks, it isn't a piece of software that you can learn by exploring ... you really need to read the manual and/or have the friend who loaned it to you show you the basics. 😉

Don't be bashful about posting more questions here, though - but it would seem that the Installation / New User forum is where you might want to ask.

Have fun!
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks so much
I have the instructions, and I read about the move you talled me, but I did not press the R key at the right timing before
Enjoy a nice Indian Summer in Idaho

John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
As friendly as the AC interface looks, it isn't a piece of software that you can learn by exploring ... you really need to read the manual and/or have the friend who loaned it to you show you the basics. 😉
Karl
HEY!... I did (or rather.. still am) it just takes a lot longer

cheers,
dan
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know if i can make the coordinate box higher precision than it does?
TomWaltz
Participant
oreopoulos wrote:
Does anyone know if i can make the coordinate box higher precision than it does?
Preferences -> Working Dimensions.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!