Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

displaying wall on more than one story

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there a way to have a wall show up on more than one story? on a lot of objects you can choose to have them shown on story above, story below, all stories, etc., but not for walls. i am trying to show a double height space with an curtainwall exterior. the curtainwall should be one wall instead of half on the first floor and half on the second floor. that way i just have to edit one wall instead of two and for aligning mullions and other things. right now i'm putting the full double height wall on the first story, making the wall 28' tall. i the copy and paste it onto the second floor and adjust the z value. so it is pretty much two walls occupying the same space, just showing up on two different stories. there has to be a better way to do this.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
mdjohnson11 wrote:
...is there a way to have a wall show up on more than one story? ... there has to be a better way to do this.
You're using the age-old work around for this known issue and No, there is currently not a better way.

dan K
Djordje
Ace
mdjohnson11 wrote:
is there a way to have a wall show up on more than one story? on a lot of objects you can choose to have them shown on story above, story below, all stories, etc., but not for walls. i am trying to show a double height space with an curtainwall exterior. the curtainwall should be one wall instead of half on the first floor and half on the second floor. that way i just have to edit one wall instead of two and for aligning mullions and other things. right now i'm putting the full double height wall on the first story, making the wall 28' tall. i the copy and paste it onto the second floor and adjust the z value. so it is pretty much two walls occupying the same space, just showing up on two different stories. there has to be a better way to do this.
Is your curtain wall a window or an object?

If object, there is no problem in showing it one storey above, while the part of the wall that is actually on the upper storey can be punched by an empty hole.

If window, the curtain wall windows have parameters to adjust for the lower and upper frames, so you have part one on the ground floor and part two on the next floor, each in its own wall.

Personally, I am against doing things the way they will not be built, but agree that a wall that ends within a storey should be seen as an outline one above, for example.

Knowing how to use the software is one thing; doing the design is another; doing both at the same time is often not so easy.

Just IMHO, as always ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
mdjohnson11 wrote:
Is your curtain wall a window or an object?

If object, there is no problem in showing it one storey above, while the part of the wall that is actually on the upper storey can be punched by an empty hole.

If window, the curtain wall windows have parameters to adjust for the lower and upper frames, so you have part one on the ground floor and part two on the next floor, each in its own wall.

Personally, I am against doing things the way they will not be built, but agree that a wall that ends within a storey should be seen as an outline one above, for example.

Knowing how to use the software is one thing; doing the design is another; doing both at the same time is often not so easy.

Just IMHO, as always ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen