Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Diplay Option: Show Core Only

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to see a display option so that you can have ArchiCAD show only the cores of wall composites (with their contour lines, of course). On our floor plans we don't need to see gyp board, air gaps, brick, etc.. We only need the rough framing. I don't want to change the wall to a "stud only" wall type, because then I have to change it back for wall sections. Having an option like "Show Only Cores Of Wall Composites" would solve this problem.
8 REPLIES 8
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
This has been perhaps my top "simple little missing feature" since I switched.

I have been achieving this by assigning specific pens to non-structural skins (even easier now with the new composites) and then hiding them in PM for my framing plans (also easier now that PM has attribute settings per drawing).

P.S. Don't forget to vote in your own poll.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
David Collins
Advocate
Around here the standard wall construction method is plaster on a brick core. Being sort of a fast track design builder, I use ArchiCAD to extract construction phased documents for each subcontractor, concrete, brick, plaster, etc. I heartily support this wish: It would be great to be able to produce drawings for the brick layer by simply turning off a display option.

The optimal solution here would have to address the problem illustrated by Geoff's "Wall Joint in My Dreams" shown over in Using ArchiCAD/Composite wall intersections
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rather than show cores only, I would like the ability to define at what scales parts of composites become visible. For example a framed wall with brick veneer should show just the brick with the rest empty at 1/4" or 1:50 scale but at 1 1/2" or 1:5 scale the airspace, sheathing, gyp etc. should become visible.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
David is correct that cores have to properly join for a core-only display option not to show gaposis.

Matthew, I have to disagree about scale sensitive composites. The current multiple choice method offered by the Navigator is much more flexible, especially with the addition of display option combinations. For example, if I want my main floor plan, at 1:50, to show all skins, and my framing plan, also at 1:50, to show only studs and sheathing, I couldn't do it with scale-sensitive composites. Adding the core-only option would enable you to create the drawings you describe as well as the examples just given. We'd both be happy.

One thing adding a core-only display option would bring up is control of fills. For the majority of situations, like the framing plan example, I would want the core-only option to show only lines, like the current No Fills option. But other people might want core-only with vectoral hatching. So it seems logical that adding this option would also lead to separating the functions into two pull-downs, one controlling the cavity lines and the other controlling the fills.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Already added to wishlist.

Balazs
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
I have been achieving this by assigning specific pens to non-structural skins (even easier now with the new composites) and then hiding them in PM for my framing plans (also easier now that PM has attribute settings per drawing).
Is there a trick to keeping the doors and windows from extending beyond the core? It looks a bit strange having the window frames overhang.
MSotero
Participant
Balazs wrote:
Already added to wishlist.

Balazs
In that case may wish to review this post too:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=18405&highlight=#18405
Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
MSotero wrote:
In that case may wish to review this post too:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=18405&highlight=#18405
I checked that first, and there was a link so I get in this topic.
I added all the links and thoughts to the wishlist.

Balazs