Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Strange phenomena when rendering a home brewed gdl-object??

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm making a simple street lamp to place in my terrain model but someone up there is angry with me this morning. Have a look at the attached image an hopefully it's an easy problem to solve (the problem usually is the pilot...)

I did the lamp with the profiler tool (from fills since I don't really manage to do it with lines) and saved each part as a gdl-object and then placed them in the right position vertically to finally save all of them in one single gdl-object.

Cheers,
Mats

I'm running 8.1 on an ordinary Compaq laptop about 1.8GHz and 523 Mb RAM. Win2K.

actrams_lampa.jpg
4 REPLIES 4
Djordje
Ace
Mats wrote:
I did the lamp with the profiler tool (from fills since I don't really manage to do it with lines) and saved each part as a gdl-object and then placed them in the right position vertically to finally save all of them in one single gdl-object.
You should use only half the cross section for the Profiler, not the whole one. Your problem are the pieces that fly out, right?

Try re-working the lamp with half the profile. It should work.

Always use the fill, lines are ambiguous as profile definitions.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
You should use only half the cross section for the Profiler, not the whole one. Your problem are the pieces that fly out, right?

Try re-working the lamp with half the profile. It should work.

Always use the fill, lines are ambiguous as profile definitions.
I did as you sauggested and the problem is still there but in another way (se attached image)... I don't understand what you mean by "pieces that fly out"...!? Could it be my hardware that's to weak???
Btw, my computer went nuts when I tested ArchiLumos... The lamp geometries didn't show up in AL... I mailed the file to Ben at LaserCAD and he had no problems rendering the model in AL so there was nothing wrong with the model itself. Quite often I have came across strange things in 8.1 and then I usually say some bad words, drink a cup of coffee and start AC7 which seems to be more stable... This lamp is going to be very expensive because I estimated the time to make i about 20 minutes or so...

Djordje
Ace
Mats wrote:
I did as you sauggested and the problem is still there but in another way (se attached image)... I don't understand what you mean by "pieces that fly out"...!?
Well, I don't see what is wrong with the lamp, so if you could enlighten me?
Could it be my hardware that's to weak???
Yes. Memory, video system definitely. What is your video chip and how much video memory you have? Judging by a curious RAM quantity you quoted, it is probably shared video memory. My condolences - that will not work with 8.1 or any OpenGL CAD system out there.
Btw, my computer went nuts when I tested ArchiLumos... The lamp geometries didn't show up in AL... I mailed the file to Ben at LaserCAD and he had no problems rendering the model in AL so there was nothing wrong with the model itself. Quite often I have came across strange things in 8.1 and then I usually say some bad words, drink a cup of coffee and start AC7 which seems to be more stable... This lamp is going to be very expensive because I estimated the time to make i about 20 minutes or so...
really. 7 does need less power than 8.1, and it is very possible that the machine itself just cannot handle what you want to do. Check it with Ben, compare to the specs of the machine he is running.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Well, I don't see what is wrong with the lamp, so if you could enlighten me?
The lamp is supposed to look solid but as you can see from the image the rendered lamp looks striped. Click on the image to view it in it's original size.

Anyway, I opened all gdl-object that the lamp were made of and changed RESOL to 18 instead of 36 which was some improvement. However it looks good in ArtLantis so...I will do the final render in ArtLantis and it will be interesting to see what my computer says about 60 pretty detailed houses, lots of terrain/roads (from AutoCAD), trees, cars etc....hopefully my Compaq will blow up in pieces so I can get a decent machine to work with...

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!