Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Hello all

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I am currently a Softplan user but wanted to see if there is a better product around these days. Has anyone here used both?

This site is so big I am having some trouble finding examples of working drawings and documentation that this program produces. I design houses and occasionaly light commercial. Does the program produce specifications and finish schedules with some automation? Can you create your own 3d objects like special moldings, window trims and grill paterns, etc.

Here are some examples from Softplan how does Archicad compare to these?

fe2_resize.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
a render
pinyon final render2_resize.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
printed plan
Anonymous
Not applicable
This site is so big I am having some trouble finding examples of working drawings and documentation that this program produces.
Hello Chris

I would like to start by saying that I believe the software doesn't produce the drawings, the operator has to input the right information in order to get the desired result. So any program is only going to be as good (or as bad) as the person using it. It looks to me like you're quite capable.

Rakela Raul linked to this site in this thread which has some great examples of what can be produced. He didn't say whether any of them were his works, but they're definitely worth a look.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for responding.
I had already seen both of those links. It is just very hard for me to determine what the capabilities are compared to softplan. It would be nice if the company would post an example house and all the types of drawings and documentation that go with it. And talk about what is generated from the model and what has to be filled in by hand.

I may have to drive a hundred miles to houston and talk to a dealer though before I can get a good since of it's capabilities.

Obviously since I am looking around, I am not thrilled with softplans capabilities.

For example on the front elevation I had to draw in all the texture and shading. Attached is the actual output from the model. Another thing I wish softplan would do is perspective line drawings with all the details.
I have seen these types of drawings by archicad users but with so many add-on products available it is impossible for me to tell what was done in archicad and what was done in other programs.
fe2plain_resize.jpg
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Hi Chris,

I used SoftPlan for several years before making the switch to ArchiCAD. I only used SoftPlan to version 9 or so ( before windowizing ) and so can't speak to capabilities in the newer versions. I do residential as well and as far as I am concerned ArchiCAD is superior in many ways and not as efficient in a couple of areas. As far as extracting Elevations and Sections from the plans, I have been able to produce basically final drawings with the exception of adding notes, dimensions and a few covering fills to hide things I don't' want to see. It really depends how much time you spend to the modeling of the project.

I can send you an example by private email if you like as the file is quite large.

I remember being very frustrated in Softplan doing complicated roofs, the inability to make custom objects, and lack of precision in curved or angled walls. I do not yet make use of the Schedules as this is one area that takes time to master. As far as drafting I can produce drawings as good or better than any I could ever produce with Softplan. Another weak area in Softplan was conversion to dwg or dxf which is vastly superior in ArchiCAD. This may not be a consideration for you though.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerald wrote:
Hi Chris,

I used SoftPlan for several years before ...
Thanks Gerald,
Yes softplan can be very frustrating, allthough it is now far better than ver8. I still have to fight with roofs on most of my houses. Sometimes I have to use other software to produce finish details, and the material takeoff routine is still not usefull to me.

The newest version just came out allowing us to do sun studies, and automated room finish and opening schedules.

Most of my renders I have to import into a paint program and touch up.

Do you have PDF's that would show the final output or what?
I know all these CAD programs will allow you to hand draw in detail so I am most interested in seeing the output before touchup.

Another example: this persons work was featured in the showcase
Does anyone know if this was this generated by archicad or some other program?
examplepic.jpg
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Chris,
Can you send me your private email address as I can't seem to add an attachment to the PM on ArchiTalk.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Rakela Raul
Participant
He didn't say whether any of them were his works
i wish!!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD