BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Align 3d roofs made with Surfacer

Tom Krowka
Booster
I like to put the problem in the title. Like the title says, how can I align the seams in roofs made with the surfacer. I can align the 2d fill, but cannot align the seams in the roof so they match across the ridge.
Did a search and found solution to the 2D problem, but not 3D.
Hope there is a way to do this, otherwise...xx$$##!!@*&&% and then some.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
8 REPLIES 8
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
I like to put the problem in the title. Like the title says, how can I align the seams in roofs made with the surfacer. I can align the 2d fill, but cannot align the seams in the roof so they match across the ridge.
Did a search and found solution to the 2D problem, but not 3D.
Hope there is a way to do this, otherwise...xx$$##!!@*&&% and then some.
If I remmeber the age old tip by Duane, you have to align the origins of the fills.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
If I remember the age old tip by Duane, you have to align the origins of the fills.
For the 3D roof surface objects, I think Duane's tip was to align the roof pivot lines...?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try Edit > Align 3D Texture.

As I recall it worked just fine for me with some standing seam roofs (but it's been a while). I don't know about what effect the pivot lines have.
Tom Krowka
Booster
sliding the roof pivot lines will align the 2D fill, but does not move the standing seam roof. EDIT>3D TEXTURE does not appear to have any effect on the standing seam roof. Not that I could make work.

Any other ideas?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
Here is the old thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=42061#42061

It sounds like the conclusion then (aligning left ends of roof pivot lines) was that the 2D could be aligned, but not the 3D.

Seems like a bug.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Booster
How do I get this to the attention of Graphisoft? Seems like an ideal time to fix this with version 10 coming out.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
Djordje wrote:
If I remember the age old tip by Duane, you have to align the origins of the fills.
For the 3D roof surface objects, I think Duane's tip was to align the roof pivot lines...?

Karl
Yep ... Omega 3 here I come ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Lingwisyer
Guru
I never bothered with the 3D alignment as I was always working with single pitched roofs and you never read the alignment around corners. Then comes one project with a dual pitched roof... and it would appear that this is one of the many objects that was left behind having not been fixed...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!