Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

To solve ArchiCAD line ' problems '

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I've just finished Univeristy for the summer and I want to prepare myself for the second and forthcoming years of Archiecture.

One thing that I want to do, which is very basic but is quite important is to create crisp lines when it comes to printing. Students who use AutoCAD have really clean lines and I know this is something that has been discussed here on the ArchiCAD forum. Is there a way that I can export ArchiCAD 2D plans/sections/elevations to AutoCAD then simply export them from AutoCAD to a PDF ? Would this make the lines appear more crisp when it comes to printing or would I need to re-draw everything in AutoCAD ? Also, if I had fills and shadows in my sections, how would AutoCAD read them i.e would they change in any way?

I'm not sure if simply imprting and exporting from ArchiCAD to AutoCAD will re-draw (?) the lines for me.

Thank You
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
Dwight wrote:
You seem to be going to a lot of trouble to cut off a licensing logo.
Why not just cut the paper down after printing?
Because I have my own A3 printer, and 70% of my work is on A3 sheets, therefor I can't cut those down. If I print on A2,A1 or A0 I can quite easily cut those down, but it's A3 that I need the most.
Does it take a roll feed? Would that help? (I've never seen the watermark.)

I still can't understand a prof dinging a student for using an educational version of the software.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
NStocks wrote:
Dwight wrote:
You seem to be going to a lot of trouble to cut off a licensing logo.
Why not just cut the paper down after printing?
Because I have my own A3 printer, and 70% of my work is on A3 sheets, therefor I can't cut those down. If I print on A2,A1 or A0 I can quite easily cut those down, but it's A3 that I need the most.
Does it take a roll feed? Would that help? (I've never seen the watermark.)

I still can't understand a prof dinging a student for using an educational version of the software.
Yes, it does take a roll feed but this will mean that more time is ' wasted ', cutting each page especially when I work very closley to the deadline aka printing 1 day before due date !

Does a PDF loose that much quality as apposed to printing directly from ArhiCAD ? ( I will test this later )

I agree with you with regards to the watermark/logo. They know that it's an educational liscense, they even have the same issue with the University computers, but it's something every student gets told off for. At least with ArchiCAD it's only in the top right, AutoCAD students have it across all sides of the paper, and it spreats across basically the width of the page. The watermark is only on educational licenses, which is why you won't see it.
Dwight
Newcomer
Like, print out your title block separately and glue it over top of the logo, then.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Like, print out your title block separately and glue it over top of the logo, then.
We get told off for ' Sticking and Gluing ' ....
Dwight
Newcomer
Let me tease you further with:

Those guys are jerks, eh?

Who says a drawing has to be a rectangle?
Why not just cut out the annoying logo entirely then?
But be sure to make some other cutouts, too, in an attempt to convey your unique artistic style.

You could be the first student to unreasonably be told off for a new transgression of their idiotic rules.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Seriously, now, how about matting? One of the most effective presentations I saw at school was hand sketches in pencil on plain newsprint with dark, irregular mat board surrounding it. You could COVER the logo without pasting....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Seriously, now, how about matting? One of the most effective presentations I saw at school was hand sketches in pencil on plain newsprint with dark, irregular mat board surrounding it. You could COVER the logo without pasting....
...and reuse the matting for the next one (cost presumably being an issue)
Anonymous
Not applicable
No matting, no fancy borders, now glued on paper, no educational/software logos/ no colour in plans, the title box must be to a minimum ( at least in 1st year )

Seriously, they don't let us do anything. They assume that we are able to produce professional documentation straight away. They don't realise the implications that educational software has ( well at least autoCAD with activation ), or the fact that their printers are c**p, or that the Uni computers are way too slow.

They are *suppose* to be getting more new computers this summer and A3 printers but I don't rely on it which is why I live at home. For £3,290 per year, you don't get a lot for your money. In fact, you just listen to lectures and get a studio tutor who in my case at least never show up on time, leave their own photocopying to the last minute when we need it ( feedback forms ) as well as other problems.

Anyway, enough of that rant this is a CAD forum, not a University forum !

I'm going to print out a few test pages in both PDF and directly from ArchiCAD to see how different the quality is. I will also print from AutoCAD and compare, also comparing the DPI.

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
Does a PDF loose that much quality as apposed to printing directly from ArhiCAD ? ( I will test this later )
In theory, a PDF should be at least as good as a plot file. After all, it's a richer file format. It all comes down to the printing process and the quality of the rendering software.

For example, if you open the PDF in Photoshop and reduce it to a bitmap, you might render it at 600dpi. But the printers' resolution might be 1200dpi (or higher), in which case you have produced a courser image before printing has even started.

If you need to edit the PDF, the best approach is to use software that can edit the PDF natively without reducing it to a bitmap, e.g. Adobe Illustrator. This preserves the vector data, enabling the target printer to render the image at its highest resolution.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Dwight
Newcomer
They take off points for using Illustrator.
They can tell, those tricky professor types.
Dwight Atkinson